PDA

View Full Version : Timing gear set availability

KrisL
08-02-2010, 18:44
Trying to help a friend locate some parts for a basic 6.2 rebuild and would like to run the timing gears instead of a chain. Now I have a set in my 6.5 but I bought them about 7 years ago. While searching the usual vendors I noticed that none of them show the gear drive available anymore :confused:. Did they stop making them? Or is there other vendors that carry them? Seems very odd, but I haven't looked in a few years for 6.2/6.5 engine parts, haven't had to.

I checked DSG, Kennedy, Peninsular, Heath, SS diesel supply. None of them have it, just show the chain setup.

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2010, 01:33
Have you tried contacting the vendors? I suggest starting with TDP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm). If they don't have them, they should know where you can source them.

KrisL
08-03-2010, 19:30
Just checked out the websites of the vendors. Think making some phone calls will be in order.

Thanks

john8662
08-04-2010, 07:40
Noticed the same thing, Summit used to have them too. These are Pete Jackson gear sets I wonder if they went under?

Let us know what you find out...

J

Subzilla
08-04-2010, 10:28
I can't pull up the Pete Jackson website. Hmmm.

DSG used to list them for the 6.2 and 6.5 but their website doesn't show them anymore. Drats.

Let us know what you find.

Kennedy
08-04-2010, 13:52
Typical demise of a quality product. Major Whorehouses get the product, sell cheap, realize it's a slow mover and drop from inventory. The guys who know and stock it get frustrated and drop it too.

I also believe now that Pete has quit business due to illness. Not sure if we'll ever see the product again.

I'm out. Had I known I'd have laid some in, but DSG apparently wanted to keep them for retail sales or something 'cause I never heard boo until a customer contacted me looking for a leftover...

KrisL
08-04-2010, 17:23
Wow, that really sucks :mad:. Guess unless I get lucky in finding one nos, I'm sol. Guess I'll tell my friend to run the chain. Hope I never need to replace the set in my current engine.

Thanks guys

trbankii
08-05-2010, 07:19
Sorry to hear that. Glad I picked one up when I did.

I've cut gears on a lathe before, but never anything that big. I really have no basis to estimate, but guess that making them from scratch would not be cost effective.

Pelado
08-05-2010, 20:21
Got mine from Jamie Avant 6 weeks ago.