PDA

View Full Version : Wanna trade chips?

markrinker
04-29-2005, 03:48
I have been running the Heath 2.0 Maxi-Torque for about 1 year, and have enjoyed the extra power.

However, with all this talk about JK's, Wester's, BD, etc. I can't help wonder if there is another chip better suited to the constant towing I do.

Anyone that wonders the same about their purchase is welcomed to perform a 'chip swap' with me for a short test period. I'd like to try some of these other chips before I plunk down any more money for a few lb/ft of torque. Of particular interest would be a chip that delivers MILEAGE as well as MORE POWER.

Specs are 1994 with D8 (?) code IP.

[ 04-29-2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Dvldog 8793
04-29-2005, 03:52
Howdy Mark
I have the Heath ECM also. Maybe we should try to find someone with a Dyno and do a test? I plan on trying to go to JKs shop at point this summer. Probabaly should be an independant shop. I also have my Laptop Scantool that can change the TDC offset so that is another thing that I am looking at changeing. Something to think about......

gmctd
04-29-2005, 07:49
Usually, more power is associated with 'happy foot'.

Therefore, just as usually, 'happy foot' is not associated with better fuel mileage............. ;)

[ 04-29-2005, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

markrinker
04-29-2005, 17:42
Given that I have mechanical boost control, there is only so much a differnt fuel curve is going to do for me.

It would be interesting to try different chips simply for the sake of comparison. My hunch is that you would be hard pressed to tell any of them apart without a dyno.

rjschoolcraft
04-29-2005, 17:52
With the mechanical boost control, you are probably right. However, when I swapped chips between the Kennedy TD Max and the Heath Max-E-Torque 2.0 with all else the same, there was a noticeable difference. This was running the Kennedy boost controller on the BARO sensor and factory electronic setup. I checked with both the remote mounted FSD with #9 resistor and with the SOL-D unit. No difference.

What I found was, the Heath chip limited boost to about what is recommended with the Turbomaster (11-12 psi), so I don't see that this was an unfair comparison. My egt went up and there was a definite drop in performance when towing my utility trailer with 550 gallons of water on board. Fuel delivery was negligibly more (less than 1 mm^3 difference). Kennedy's chip commands more boost all across the operating range. If you take control of the boost out of the chips hands with a mechanical device, there would be little difference.

That's why I've questioned the advertised HP claim in the past. My dyno results are posted elsewhere and the combined results of my modifications don't equal what is advertised for the chip/tm combination. The Heath programming is definitely better than stock, but not as good as Kennedy's, at least for OBDI applications.

For S/W Offroad's sake, I'm not attacking anyone personally as has been done before. I'm just reporting my honest assessment and observed results.

[ 04-29-2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: ronniejoe ]

markrinker
04-30-2005, 04:47
With two aging trucks that have to be reliable at night and in the worst Minnesota winter weather, I went with mechanical boost control for simplicity, eliminating maintenance of the over-engineered factory boost control system.

I am sure there is power left on the table as a result.