PDA

View Full Version : Should i get it?

blackshirts
08-04-2010, 07:34
so as a poor high school student with 3 jobs i plan on upgrading in the world of trucks....right now i have 76' all time 4x4 gmc k15 with the 400ci 6.6l and shes old and rusty with holes thru the floor and a crack in the block...
and so im considering this truck here....ive seen it in person and its a clean truck and i know the a salesman at this dealer chain that i could probaly talk him down to 4500 for it....its got fairly low miles for a 6.5l and no rust(rotted tires) and a auto tranny(prefer 5speed) do you guys think its worth it ? im most worried about the tranny and the heads and the Ipump
http://www.siddillon.com/VehicleDetails/578972533
i would plan on putting on straight piped stacks or dual side exits behind the tires and a K&N with a bigger downpipe from the turbo to give it more breath and possible a re-flashed ecm or e-prom with a new set of wrangler authority 245's -285's (still in debate) i know im only a kid in high school but ill be a junior and if i can pull it off cheap i think it would really be worth it because it would last me through college and even far after and dad also wants to get a goose neck camper but he only has a 01 z71 with the 5.3l and this 6.5l already has a ball mount in the bed

so what do you guys think...is she worth it?

KallyI
08-04-2010, 12:28
Welcome to the forum. I checked in the Kelley Blue Book, and the NADA Book, and it looks like the price for that truck is sitting about $1100.00 high. It might be worth a check on Autocheck, or CarFax, just to find out a little more about the truck.
Good Luck!:)

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-04-2010, 15:05
i paid 4500 for my 95' last fall and 6000 for my 93 four years ago.

it's a little stiff, but if you can get it down to 4500, i would go for it.

NH2112
08-04-2010, 15:43
Tell them you want a set of tires put on it or no sale. As far as the truck itself, it'll have the 4L80E so there's really no reason to worry about the tranny. If it doesn't have the green tag IP mention the TSB and talk 'em down some more. As far as all the other stuff - exhaust, chip, etc - leave that stuff alone and just drive it as-is. Get a 5.7l if you want something to hot-rod.

blackshirts
08-05-2010, 09:35
well the exhaust i want for sure because the 6.5l's never had a decent intake system to give it a good enough power because the stock system practicly chokes it my coach said he straight piped an K&N'd his half ton and the turbo psi went from 7 to about 11 and also i saw a youtube video of a guy said he switched a vacum line on the selanoid or somthing and it pushed it to 15psi? is that possible? i dont want to push out that much psi cause id have to get a intercooler then but what about this 6.5's heads/valves? its the 96 so the some-what updated version i mean if its the l65 im not too worried about power but what if it happens to be the L56? and straight piping adds hp/mpg and then if i chip it that only tricks the computer into taking the "upgraded" exhaust and utalizes it even more correct? and ive also heard it makes the auto tranny shift alot smoother the reason i want to do performance upgrades is for mileage and not so much to be a punk kid with a hot rod but id like to make up for the unfortunate some-what of a power failure ,also dad wants to get a 5th wheel camper and i also pull a 30ft hog trailers and 2-5 times a year i pull a 35ft gooseneck cattle trailer(when we rotate cattle pasture to the farm)and hogs is every wensday lol
idk if i mentioned but id like to put goodyear wrangler duratracs or authoritys 245's
and for ****s and giggles i saw some decent looking decals
http://store.harrelldesigns.com/silverado-windshield-topper-decal--chevrolet.html
http://store.harrelldesigns.com/65l-turbo-diesel-hood-decal.html
http://www.westonsigns.com/product.php?productid=448
there thats the kid side of me...would also put on my 4ft whips and cobra and LED running lights with smoked cab lights and im gonna re-do my rusty gun rack and maybe as i go add chrome here and there
so theres the plans for the truck i plan on having for a very long time
that i have dreamed of having since my uncles 97 when i was 4 years old
anyone has any better ideas/sugestions or just wanna tell me im dumb im open to all opinions :D

suburbanK-2500HD
08-05-2010, 12:08
Its fun to upgrade the 6.5, as long as you start in the right end.
Dont worry about the tranny, its strong. Just service the tranny and engine properly and it will work just fine.
Exhaust is a correct way to start if you want to do something with the performance. I experienced lower EGT temp with 3,5 inch exhaust all the way, and (no Cat).. Open the intake plenum, remove the snorkel from the right inner fender.
A new set of injectors can do wonders if they not have been replaced before..

:)

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-05-2010, 12:36
don't worry about modding it. it can easily take a e-prom and exhaust.

i ran 25 psi on a stock turbo on stock heads and the truck was fine. now that is a point of contention, and i will agree that your tempature after 15 psi rises like crazy, but i had a water setup to keep it cool.

but, i would try to talk them down to at least 4500.

it will tow those trailers for you.

blackshirts
08-05-2010, 18:29
yah i cant afford injectors till maybe a lot later in life but i was considering some sort of marine's

suburbanK-2500HD
08-05-2010, 23:38
yah i cant afford injectors till maybe a lot later in life but i was considering some sort of marine's

That choice has been debated here, and some mean that its no need for marine injectors.
I have them and i am satisfied, but maybe i would get the same result with std. injectors....

There could be other things that is more important to look for if you buy the truck, so if you buy it drive it for a while to se that everything is fine...