PDA

View Full Version : my water injection system.

fixajet
08-08-2010, 08:54
I used to be an active poster here about 8-9 years ago, and I still lurk around now and again. When I first bought my 93 about 9 years ago, it wouldn't get out of its own way (power wise). There were alot of fine folks at that time on this forum who helped me get "more power" out of the old beast. So the other day, while I had the hood up, I thought I would take a couple of pictures of my homemade water injection system and post them. Now I know that there are alot of folks who say they would never inject water into their engine and thats fine, but Ive been running this system for over 6 years now without so much as a hiccup. The only problem I have had, is being pulled over by the highway patrol. Seems they don't like the beer keg Im using as my water container in the back of my truck. :-)
I don't want this to turn into a 'your doing it all wrong' type of thread, this is just what Ive done and it has worked fine for me. I also wanted to thank everyone over the years for continuing their input for the 6.5.

Nozzles:
Ive installed 2 fine mist nozzles (off the top of my head I can't remember the flow rate of them, but I think I have them written down somewhere) One kicks in at 8 lbs of boost and the other one at 12.

Control:
2 adjustable pressure switches (tapped into manifold pressure) sends 12v to the 2 water solenoids (opens when 12v applied, closes when not) One is adjusted at 8psi the other 12.

Switch:
metal on/off switch with 2 green indication lights. Turns shurflo water pump on/off and the green lights tell me when each of the solenoids have opened letting me know I have water flow.
I can peg the boost gauge at 15+ without exceeding egt :-)

Some things about my truck: 1993 ext cab 3/4 ton. Bill Heath boost contol, Kennedy 3 1/2 inch exhaust, Amsoil aircleaner, 97 water pump mod with 2 stats, Kennedy 9 Blade Fan and Clutch, extra electric fan cooled transmission cooler and a few more...

I pull a 28' Tahoe fith wheel with an 88 jeep yj behind that most of the time. I can't say that its as powerful as the dodges, fords and duramax's that blow by me, but I can maintain the speed limit on most hills and I ain't got no payments neither.

Scott.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-09-2010, 00:14
looking good!

gotta love the water injection. :D

nice little writeup you have there

Stratosurfer
08-09-2010, 19:33
Fixajet,
Thanks for sharing. I have researched H2O inj for over 30 years. I built my first injection system in college in the early 80's: a glass jar with an aquarium stone that the gas engine vacuum sucked the bubbled up vapor into the engine. Quite crude.
I think your system looks great and I thank you for sharing your towing chores: I am considering upgrading the towing capacity on my Suburban and H2O injection will be key: probably a Snow system: I love the gauge he sells with it. I'm all about digital on gauges if possible.

You a jet mech?

fixajet
08-10-2010, 07:24
thx for the kind replies.
Yes I am an aircraft mechanic. I first learned of water injection back in A&P school when we cover'd a section on wwII turbo charged engines. Have now and again tinkered with it ever since.

Stratosurfer
08-10-2010, 13:51
Fixajet,
I'm an old-ish pilot flying small planes on a private ticket. I studied H20 inj in the navy and it's use as thrust augmentation in turbines. I think the B 52's still use H2O inj on takeoff. WWII piston Fighters used it widely during WOT.

Edahall
08-10-2010, 14:28
Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions?

1. Do you have it callibrated to come on while driving solo down a level road? I see that it comes on at 8 psi. Why not at a lower pressure?
2. Did you notice any increase in solo fuel economy and if so, how much did it increase?
3. What are you using for a pump and how many PSI does it put out?

I've asked this question before but the reply has always been, we sell them for increasing power, not for increasing fuel economy.

fixajet
08-13-2010, 09:13
Edahall:

The pressure switches are adjustable and can be adjusted for any psi.
When im towing on a level road I hardly see the boost gauge go over 8psi. To conserve water, plus the fact that the temps are low just towing level, I don't have a need for water. I have the first nozzle comming on at 8 psi which is usually the start of an incline and the other one at 12 if im really climbing.
I can't honestly say that ive seen an increase in fuel mileage. Why? because I can give it alot more skinny pedal now than I could before. Im climbing the long steeper grades a good 10+ mph faster than i could without water. I only use the truck for towing and maybe an occasional trip to home-depot so I can't give you a good answer for increase mileage driving empty with pressure switches set lower.
Im using a shurflow rv style water pump. I believe the psi is 45-50 psi. Its mounted under the cab of the truck and im not around it right now to give you the correct number. I used to have all the information such as where I bought the parts and pump somewhere. If i come across it i will post it.
hope this helps
Scott

handcannon
08-13-2010, 21:14
You've got my interest up!! If I am understanding you right, this helps keep your engine temps down when going up hills by way of keeping your IAT down?

I have only had my truck for about 6 months and am working on getting it set up for towing. I've done three tows with my TT (9K lbs) so far. The first and third tows were real easy, flat, no hills. The second took me over the Coast Range hills. I don't remember the max elevation, but less than 1K ft. There are three or four good climbs, not long or steep, but not easy. My temps went up to a bit over 210 for a very short time. The mods I currently have are listed in my sig line.

Your truck is set up similar to mine with the exception of the HO water pump and the water mist. The HO pump is going on as soon as I can come up with the money. If a WMI will help keep towing temps down I am very interested. Any info you can supply will be very much appreciated.

Don

PS-never heard the fan come on, did the first fan clutch mod at the campground on the coast. Still no fan on the way home. The spring on the clutch was so short that I could only add 1/8th" to the spring length, leaving me only 1/8th" to put back into the slot on the clutch body. Took the spring off the old fan clutch, did the mod, adding close to 3/8ths" to the spring length. Haven't had a chance to try any heavy towing yet. I did make a couple here locally, mostly on the freeway, with about 3K lb loads with no overheating.

fixajet
08-14-2010, 07:28
Don-

As you know heat is the killer of these engines. Yes, Im interested in keeping an eye on the water temps, but more importantly for me its watching the egt temps. Because I have the turbo turned up more than double what it was stock i need to as you said, keep the IAT down. Injecting the mist into the inlet allows for the increased boost. Increased turbo boost means more power. More power means more speed, more speed means increased airflow thru radiator, transmission cooler, engine compartment... it all helps.
Reminds me of the little indian boy story, "faster go cooler get"

'One day, a little indian boy sitting around his campfire in the middle of the day out in the hot dessert sweating to death. Man is it hot! He thinks to himself ive got to get cooler. How can I get cooler? I know, I will go ask the cheif, he is the smartest man in the tribe. So he gets up and goes into the chief's teepee and asks "cheif, I am sweating to death out there, it is so hot. I can't take it any more. How can I get cooler?" Cheif thinks for a minute and then replies to the little indian boy "faster go, cooler get" and then sends him on his way. The little indian boy walks back to his fire repeating to himself faster go, cooler get, faster go, cooler get. Just then, he kicks up a jack rabbit out of the sage brush and it takes off running. Then it dawned on him! the faster I go, the cooler I get. So, in the middle of the day in the desserts 110 degree tempature he takes off running. And the little breeze he creates against his sweaty body feels so goood! Then he stops all of a sudden, thinks to himself, if i'm fast, pony is faster! So he goes and gets on his pony and starts running the pony thru the hot dessert all the time saying "faster go, cooler get." And the breaze feels sooo good. So he's whipping his pony now, making the pony run as fast as he can! All the time saying "faster go, cooler get". Its not long before the pony stumbles, falls, and is dead from heat exhaustion. After the fall, when the little indian boy can finally stand and compose himself, he dust's himself off, walks over to the dead pony, KICKS it and says: "stupid pony, must of froze to death!"

Scott.

P.S. you will know it when that 9 blade fan kicks in, it will sound like a tornado.

fixajet
08-17-2010, 06:57
couple more pictures.

JohnC
08-17-2010, 09:43
What kind of beer does it prefer?