PDA

View Full Version : Outside Door Handle R&R Tips?

joed
08-09-2010, 07:17
Anyone know any tips/tricks for removing and replacing the outside door handle on a 95 & newer?

The driver's side on my 96 is cracked and I can't figure out how to undo the clips that hold the lock cylinder rod and opener rod. Access is very tight/awkward.

My online service manual is not very helpful in this regard; just says remove the inner door panel and remove the clips. How can you remove the inner panel with the window and power lock actuator and rods still attached?

I can loosen the 2 bolts that hold the door handle, but can't seem to get any farther.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

JoeyD
08-09-2010, 09:12
You need to pull the inner door panel off.
2 srews in the handle area
pull the trim around the door lever
remove the cover by the mirror
remove the light on the door panel
pop the clips around the panel, buy a tool so you don't break the panel or clips
tape the window up
pull the inner door panel off
remove the rods
unclip the lock and remove the 10mm bolt on the backside of the door, in the jamb area

Not a hard job but time consuming. I hope i didn't forget anything

JTodd
08-16-2010, 19:56
Easier method.

No need to pull the inner door panel. The handles are held on by two 10mm bolts. One is accessible from the outer edge of the door, the other can be reached using an extension and a flashlight. With both bolts out, the handle can be pulled outward. You will be able to see how the clips hold the rods in place. To move them, use needle nose pliers to slide past the rod. If the handle is just stiff, use PB Blaster or something similar (WD-40 will not last) and loosen up the action. If you need to replace one, there are tons at the junk yard. I needed to replace one and paid $5 for it, and it was in perfect shape. Can easily remove, lube and replace in about 15 minutes (including removing inner door pull, trim panel, ect.

joed
08-17-2010, 07:07
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was able to get it loose and did try needle nose pliers from the outside, but still couldn't tell which way to move the clips. Maybe they were just stuck.

Any idea what direction they need to go? Toward the bottom of the door, the front or rear of door?

Thanks, again. I'll have to give it another shot, when I hopefully have more patience!

Joe.

JTodd
08-17-2010, 19:06
As the rod goes through the hole in the handle arm, there is a groove in the end of the rod. The clip slides into that recess. if memory serves, one side is longer than the other. Part of the deal is that there is a little sprue that kind of locks it in. With your pliers, Bend upward the longer side of the clip and push it away from the long end. I can't remember if it goes towards the handle or away, but it is away from the long end of the clip, just remember to bend it up a bit.

94blue
09-14-2010, 07:14
Are there any tricks to get the inner door liner off to work on the windwo motor.
Step by step adn what to whatch out for to not break.
1994 2500 suburban.
Thanks
94Blue

JTodd
09-18-2010, 18:51
pretty easy, actually. Remove verticle screws in the door arm rest and the surround around the handle. To get that, you use a very small, thin screwdriver. There are 4 clips, (top, bottom, right, left). After that, use a screwdriver and slide it between the door and the panel. I always start at the bottom. If you are able to see in there, get the screw driver right at the base of the clips. if you feel the need, you can get a specialty tool to help out. If you are doing the front doors, the little piece just inside of the mirror will cause problems. I have never had an easy time with that.