PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L toronado

Fossilfreefuel
08-11-2010, 09:38
Hey all, I have an 81 Olds with the 5.7L diesel in it. I need to rebuild the engine, but then I was thinking I have some sources for 6.2L instead. I know the tranny will match but with the front wheel drive I know I have to make a custom oil pan. Does anyone know if the rest of the dimensions will accommodate a 6.2. I took overall dimensions but it's hard to tell where it will sit. Should I just stick with the 5.7 and get it rebuilt?

Thanks!

Edahall
08-11-2010, 10:37
The 6.2L diesel is about the same size as a big block so it's going to be physically larger in size. Have you checked the deck heigth and weather or not your engine bay has enough heigth for it to fit in there with the air cleaner on?

But I'm sure it can be done if someone was able to stuff a Cummins into this car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_kjaxIDzc

Edahall
08-11-2010, 10:40
Here's a video of a 6.2L in a Cadillac Fleetwood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfXYCKjW18

Robyn
08-11-2010, 11:47
The only caviat is that the Olds 5.7 has an Olds bolt pattern on the back, the 6.2 has a chevy bolt pattern. An adapter can be had though.

Physically the 6.2 should fit. The big block olds engine (455) is wider than the 6.2.

The real issue will be keeping the thing cool. The radiator size needs to be no smaller than that used in a Pickup with the diesel.

Sounds like a fun project.

Missy

convert2diesel
08-11-2010, 12:42
Dimension wise, the two engines are very similar. As Robyn pointed out the Bell housings are different and you will have to get an adapter. Keep the motor mount offsets from the 5.7 and use them on the 6.2. Will give you some wiggle room to accomodate the length of the adapter.

The oil pan modification will have to be significant as the passenger side drive axle goes through the pan :eek:. Probably have to cut out the 5.7 pan and marry it to the 6.2 pan.

Did the same conversion on a friends GM motorhome (same drive system as the Toronado) but did a 6.5 mechanical turbo setup. Also did one with a 471 Jimmy but that is another story. If your interested, Gear Vendors actually made an overdrive for this setup. Was designed to be used with the motorhome but it might still work on the Olds.

Otherwise, this conversion is very doable and should be alot of fun. Keep us appraised.

Bill

AVM62
08-11-2010, 15:59
Can you tell us more about the Detroit Diesel 4-71 in the GMC motorhome?

convert2diesel
08-11-2010, 19:41
Can you tell us more about the Detroit Diesel 4-71 in the GMC motorhome?

Screamed like something was torturing it, leaked like it was mugged, didn't have enough power to blow itself to hell and you couldn't blow enough fuel through a fire hose fast enough to feed it. And don't even ask about the exhaust system.

Otherwise it was a fun conversion. Just not one I would do again. It was one of those " I have this engine, do you think we can make it work?" type of projects. To give it its due, the rig made it from Ottawa to Miami and back again (about 3,000 miles) without a hitch, though road rage was a factor in the hills. He gave up even trying to calculate the fuel mileage, just kept filling the tank. Ended up replacing it again with a 500 Caddy engine (actually got better fuel mileage :confused:).

Bill

Fossilfreefuel
08-12-2010, 07:00
So for some reason I thought that a 350 engine (what the 5.7 is based on) has a universal bolt pattern the same as any chevy small block/big block.

This may be more work than I'm looking to do. The toronado isn't my final "dream" vehicle, it was just something I ran into for $500. I'm giving it a nice paint job and wanted a fresh motor so that I can sell it to fund a late 60's early 70's nova or other muscle car of that era that would get a 7.3L IDI with a turbo and gear vendor's overdrive.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to put too much time or money, I ran into some really cheap 6.2L options so I thought I would pose the question of a swap. I got an option of a clean 6.2 with 100,000 for $250 (with the step van included) and a rebuilt 6.2 never used for $700.

I took overall dimensions of each engine and they are a significant amount different. Also, my worry was the steering rack getting in the way. The toronado doesn't have motor mounts on the side frame rails but onto the front cross member and because it's front wheel drive the bell housing doesn't sit centered but off the passenger side a bit. I guess I can take out the fender wells.

Thanks for the replies, very informative.

Robyn
08-12-2010, 07:39
The 5.7 diesel was based (Loosely) on the 350 Olds engine.
The physical size, bracket locations and such allowed the little diesel to fit everything in the GM lineup.

Contrary to popular belief that the 5.7 diesel was just a converted gasser, it was not. The design was a scratch built engine but done to allow an easy fit in the different car lines using existing stock parts.

The crank is different, as are almost all the parts.
The "Corporate case " 350 tranny was used as it had both chevy and BPO bolt patterns.

The rear of the block on the 5.7 diesel is typical BPO pattern.
I had a chevy pickup that came with one of these engines.
Great little truck.

A friend stuffed a 5.7 diesel in a K5 Blazer back in 80-81 and had fine luck with it.

The 6.2 will fit, its just gonna take a little tweeking of parts is all.

The Toro uses a 425 tranny I believe (FWD) and an adapter is available to do chevy to BPO.

Missy