PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Out The Exhaust

mwhitfill
08-11-2010, 13:25
I saw a truck today that had a large amount of fuel coming out ot the tail pipe at increased engine speeds. The fuel filter had been changed by persons unkown and the truck would not start. The system was primed and started normally. Engine runs fine. No water/oil exchange and no fuel in the crankcase. No engine codes either. I am not sure what was done to attempt to crank the engine...starting fluids or whatever. I was brought the truck to diagnose and drove the truck to normal temps. Any ideas? Large amount of fuel out the tail pipe...not just a little. By the way, its a 2003 model with one set of injectors changed about 50,000 miles ago. Another note: Is this the site with the Brotherhood of handshakers? I think I was #138 or something like that

DmaxMaverick
08-11-2010, 14:30
Liquid fuel out the tail pipe? Not smoke? How did you determine it is, in fact, fuel? Hard to believe it's possible, with the engine running well, otherwise. By the time you had enough fuel to blow out the pipe as liquid, at operating temperature, the cylinder(s) would have hydro-locked long before (couldn't happen -- a paradox). Not to mention a smoke screen you couldn't miss.

If this is a CA truck, or one with CA emissions, the liquid could be coolant, from the EGR cooler. Could also be a head or head gasket issue, or possibly a cracked turbo housing (CA emissions or not). If so, there should be a lot of steam present, and a noticeable decrease in coolant level.

In any case, no matter the fluid or source, large amounts of smoke would have to be happening, and the engine would likely be very rough, at any speed.

mwhitfill
08-11-2010, 15:11
Well come to find out it doesnt run too well on the road....it is diesel coming out thats for sure...there was so much black smoke that people had to pull over behind me...it quickly makes a 3 foot puddle on the ground when stationary...