PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke 6.2?

Subzilla
08-13-2010, 11:06
Roadtripped the Sub 250 miles with the newly installed ATS turbo, rebuilt 6.5 heads (T precups), stock 6.2 injectors and IP on factory 6.2 block. Sooo much better than before. Almost no smoke, starts up great, much lower EGT's and the difference in power is 100% better. I was replacing the original untouched heads and gasket. It can actually pull itself up a hill with little effort. :)

As I posted in a previously, I'm concerned about the change in noise level. It clatters like a freaking Powerstroke under acceleration. At idle, it's not too awful bad but any depression of the pedal and it's clattering like it's falling apart. Didn't touch the IP during the install other then removing the lines. I retarded the timing just a line's width with no change in sound. I know a few of you said it would be louder with the 6.5 heads but I don't recall hearing other 6.5's going down the street as loud as mine now is.

Should I retard the timing more? What exactly causes the extra clatter? I know the larger precup openings and injector angle make the difference but what is going on? I just want to make sure I'm not blowing up the engine!!:eek:

More Power
08-13-2010, 12:55
1/16" movement of the injection pump at the flange equals about 3 degrees. I'd retard it a bit if you think it rattles too hard. While cruising in overdrive at 65-mph, a careful listener with excellent hearing can detect just a little rattle in a properly timed 6.2/6.5... ;)

Jim

john8662
08-13-2010, 12:56
6.2's don't (at least my experience) seem to repond to creating the "powerstroke" noise as wildly due to timing. It's very possible that you were over advanced before, from the sound of things.

Of course this is as wild of a guess as anything because I cannot hear the engine.

J

Robyn
08-13-2010, 15:55
Make sure that the cold case pressure advance is not stuck in the on POSITION

This along with a tad too much advance of the IP will really make the little 6.2 Cackle

A plugged return line or fouled cold advance solenoid or a temp switch on the RH head thats not shutting off will do this.

Missy

convert2diesel
08-13-2010, 20:29
Make sure that the cold case pressure advance is not stuck in the on POSITION

This along with a tad too much advance of the IP will really make the little 6.2 Cackle

A plugged return line or fouled cold advance solenoid or a temp switch on the RH head thats not shutting off will do this.

Missy

A plugged return line would retard the timing would it not? The HPCA decreases the dome pressure and thus advances the timing while plugging the return would increase housing pressure pushing the advance piston the other way. At least thats the way I always thought they worked.

Bill

Subzilla
08-16-2010, 11:09
I checked the HPCA to make sure it is not stuck - I have an in-cab switch to deactivate it shortly after start-up. This morning I turned of and on to hear it advancing (more rattle for sure) during warm-up. So I know it is clicking off.

The wierd thing I notice, and this was also before my turbo/head install, is it seems to rattle more at random times?!? The rattle seems to be more pronounced between 1500 and 2200 rpms. Could the advance mechanism be floating on and off causing an intermittent advance?? Just a thought.

I notched the timing down over the weekend and I thought it sounded better but then again, on the next accelleration it rattles again. Could be my imagination but I swear it seems to flip flop back and forth but oh so subtley. I don't know.........

DmaxMaverick
08-16-2010, 13:11
Check the advance cam/plunger on the right side of the pump. They can foul (wire, nut, foreign matter) and not be allowed to extend. They can also stick, or the return spring (internal) can break.