PDA

View Full Version : ok i need more opinions

blackshirts
08-16-2010, 18:10
ok i know its a gaser but i need opinions while surfing Clist tonight i accidently stumbled upon a truck from my town...that i highly recognized.....it was one of my freinds lol he says he'll go for 4000$ ive rode and drove this truck and its a great feeling truck anyways here she is ...opinions anyone?
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/1900994492.html

More Power
08-17-2010, 12:51
While I think the 1994 interiors are fine, most prefer the 1995+ interiors, especially the dash/instrument panel. The 1995+ also got airbags.

Jim

blackshirts
08-17-2010, 19:09
who cares about my safety if i die atleast itll be in a truck what ii mainly wanna know is i guess is after that many million miles is it worth getting even with the sexy looks and rebuilt engine?

More Power
08-18-2010, 10:55
If you want a 6.5, I'd hold out for a truck that came with the 6.5. They can (eventually - if you're patient) be found for about the same price you're looking at here for the gas truck. Jim

Robyn
08-18-2010, 13:37
yesssss, if you really want a diesel, I would wait for one.

Doing a swap on an all electronic truck, although doable, is a PITA.

The early diesels had a mechanical IP and will work fine, the issue is the tranny controls.

Now you can do a mechanical IP and then use a stand alone tranny controler.

If the body and upholstery is the biggy. If the truck is a real clean rig in and out, a conversion is not out of the question.

Missy

blackshirts
08-18-2010, 16:30
well i would love the diesel as a plaything but right now i just really need a newer semi-cheap truck i mean i fall through the rust holes in the floor on mine pretty soon if im not too careful(lol) no seriously if i wanna go drinking and a cop comes i can just drop the cans through the floor :D but not only is the block cracked but i can hear the valves start to rattle :(....shes old and fun but i want something younger with long legs but this ones legs are a little warn do you think shes worth it? even though its a gaser

NutNbutGMC
08-18-2010, 16:42
who cares about my safety if i die .Do you have any family? Wife, kids, Mom or Dad, brother or sister?

blackshirts
08-18-2010, 18:55
not ment too be taken so literall man simply that im the only one driving and riding in it most of the time so airbags are not a worry besides my 76 doesnt even have airbags although its a block of rusty steel

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2010, 00:37
I didn't have an airbag until after I got married. I agree....They can be annoying.

Robyn
08-19-2010, 06:29
Myself, I could care less about having an air bag.
I believe fully in seat belts, but the steering wheel BOMBS scare me.

Seen the carnage that they leave behind. The concept is good (In theory) but in application, thats a different story.

I certainly would not pass on a rig just because it is not new enough to have a BAG.

The 94 interior (DASH) are not quite as nice as the 95 and later trucks but, they are certainly ok.

Missy

blackshirts
08-19-2010, 19:21
btw i remeber my uncle never having to plug in his 97 2500 6.5l with the nv4500 intercooled factory ordered truck in winter accept when we went hunting in south dakota how do ya'lls trucks handle with the winter starts?

Robyn
08-20-2010, 07:26
I have started the 94 Burb at 10F after sitting for a week in the cold soak and it fired right off.

Its easier on the engine if its plugged in and kept warm.

If the glow system as well as the fuel injection system are in good shape, they should fire right off.

Missy

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-23-2010, 13:19
-30 C start on mine, but it did start repeatedly.

ever seen an old cold train startup? think of that on a smaller scale. oil pressure maxed out for ten minutes.

once warmed, she ran beautiful. loved the cold air. :D

blackshirts
08-23-2010, 17:29
ok cool thanks for the reasurance :D and i had another boyscout thought...ive probally already mentioned this somewhere in here but me and my coach came up with a new cooling idea that saves money and stuffs like that....ok so everyone knows or should know....or will learn that the pump likes to go out because of heat(it being stuck between the valves ) and also that sexy plastic squarish topper deal...well instead of taking it off and making it look ugly...and blowing money on a relocation kit....how about cutting some sort of hole or holes in the front and attaching tubing to it that runs to either the grill,just under the hood,the fender, or too the holes that are in the lower half of the bumper....ok then cut holes in the side and back of the plastic cover.....so now we have solved the engine heat problem of the Injector pump by pushing cool air in and FORCING that nasty heat out not only would this help keep that cool but it would look stylish if done right and possibly help cool the valve covers and top half of the block better. am i correct yes,no? opinions?comments? ideas?thoughts?vents? :D

heres a basic photoshopped engine for my idea (black circles are where cuts would be made) maybe a person could do somthing creative like cut 6.5L into each side of the plastic to be the air exit or somthing like that
http://i33.tinypic.com/2gwf0o0.gif

a5150nut
08-23-2010, 18:35
It's not so much when running as it is heat soak when you stop and shut down.

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2010, 21:45
ok cool thanks for the reasurance :D and i had another boyscout thought...ive probally already mentioned this somewhere in here but me and my coach came up with a new cooling idea that saves money and stuffs like that....ok so everyone knows or should know....or will learn that the pump likes to go out because of heat(it being stuck between the valves ) and also that sexy plastic squarish topper deal...well instead of taking it off and making it look ugly...and blowing money on a relocation kit....how about cutting some sort of hole or holes in the front and attaching tubing to it that runs to either the grill,just under the hood,the fender, or too the holes that are in the lower half of the bumper....ok then cut holes in the side and back of the plastic cover.....so now we have solved the engine heat problem of the Injector pump by pushing cool air in and FORCING that nasty heat out not only would this help keep that cool but it would look stylish if done right and possibly help cool the valve covers and top half of the block better. am i correct yes,no? opinions?comments? ideas?thoughts?vents? :D

heres a basic photoshopped engine for my idea (black circles are where cuts would be made) maybe a person could do somthing creative like cut 6.5L into each side of the plastic to be the air exit or somthing like that

Like spitting (etc.) in the ocean. The heat in question is produced by the transistors (which should be firmly positioned against the pump housing.....where no air should go), and passed through the pump housing (where the cooler fuel is passing by). Cooling the PMD case with air may have some benefit, but it won't do anything to mitigate the heat related failures (there are other reasons, but heat may be a contributing factor to any/most of them). If you insist on leaving the cover in place, venting it would not be a step backwards, in any case. Add to that, what the NUT said.

blackshirts
08-24-2010, 18:46
thats sad too hear considering i thought i came up with a easy fix but atleast im more educated now :D