PDA

View Full Version : Attention AutoEnginuity Laptop Code Reader Owners:

GMC Hauler
01-02-2005, 17:16
I recently asked for many of your opinions on laptop scan tools (see Laptop OBDII Readers (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007776) ).

I purchased the AutoEnginuity Laptop Code reader ( AutoEnginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/) ), even though it was a little more expensive than Carcode, because it seeemed to have a better interface, more support, bidirectional capabilities, and more features.

I recieved the unit, unpacked it, installed it and activated it. After connecting it to the vehicle and running some tests, I was impressed. It had alot of features. I did have a problem with a few sensors not reading correctly.

I emailed the tech support, reported what I had seen, and provided the correct data from the service manual. I was not sure if i would recieve a response. I was going to send the unit back if I couldnt get the software repaired.

Two days later, I recieved a response with a updated beta version to test, with a name and contact number. I contacted Jay Horak, and he gave me some special activation codes.

I tested the beta version and indeed, it fixed the problems I reported (it now reads desired and actual timing, and tdc offset correctly)

I had a talk with Jay about the software, and updates i'd like to see. He stated that he was trying to make this tool a "one for one swap" with the tech II, complete with all testing commands, ect. Now I dont know if that will ever happen, but i'd sure like to see it.

I am currently running further tests, to check and see if there are any other problems. I have noted a few other sensors that arent reading correctly. What I am asking for is for the AutoEnginuity owners to contact me by any means and inform me what problems you have seen, and what improvements you would make. I will combine this with my report and get back to the manfacturer.

Thanks....

AndyL
01-03-2005, 04:05
Thanks for the information. I currently have the Carcode type and agree the interface is quite poor. I can't seem to find any pictures or screen shots of the AutoEnginuity's software. Any chance you could Email some screen shots?

GMC Hauler
01-03-2005, 20:31
So far I have many sensors working, but ones of particular instrest what definitely work correctly are desired and actual timing, tdc offset, and fuel rate.

You can download the actual program at Download page (http://www.autoenginuity.com/downloads.shtml) . I am not sure how to print out the screen.

Bob's 6.5TD
02-15-2005, 20:05
GMC Hauler, I am going to buy an OBD II soft and hardware package to place on my laptop to do do diagnostic work/monitoring on my 96 GMC. I was wondering if you or anyone else had anymore feed back regarding Auto Enginuity's performance and if you believe its worth the additional money since the last comments were posted on this posting? Also, any others who find thier software easy to use, as well as value for the dollar?

rjwest
02-16-2005, 04:39
Sounds good, I have the CARCODE, Agree on lack of
documentation, Good thing about Carcode is: all futures upgrades free, and good for all GM cars.

Do you know policy on AutoEquity...?

Bob's 6.5TD
02-16-2005, 09:28
rj, I talked with Tech support, and this is my understanding, if I buy the basic scan tool for my laptop it costs 229.95, and basicly only provides emissions diagnostics, or as they say only OBD II specs. In order to provide all GM specific sensors not covered by the OBD II specifications, such as air intake temp, crank sensor data, ect. you have to buy the Enhanced Interface software for another 99.95. All upgrades to these are included for life of the product but if GM were to start using new sensors then you would have to purchase the upgrade to get that included. Well, that kinda of totals more than I was expecting. Or maybe I don't need the benefits of the enhanced version, since I don't have any experience with any of these tools I'm not sure exactly what I need. I know what I want to be able to do at least what I see what data you guys discuss, from time to time, temperture readings, intake pressure ect. Any suggestions?

Dvldog 8793
02-16-2005, 10:49
howdy
I was just in touch with them also to ask if thier machine was capable of reprograming the GM vehicles. No way, and not in the future either. That would be the only reason that I would consider buying one of these tools. Other than a Tech II or a OTC it doesn't sound like any scan tool will reprogram. Both of those tools cost BIG BIG :eek: $
For all the other data that people are normally talking about I think a good set of gauges works fine.
L8r
Conley

Bob's 6.5TD
02-16-2005, 11:05
well I thought the quickest and easiest way to get gauge information, was to just plug up the laptop, but now I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider the guages. I'm changing engines in my truck and thought I might could also use these tools to set IP timing ect. Maybe the carcode programs might give enough information to do that without spending as much money on the Auto Enginuity, I was attracted to it because I understood it was easier to use. But I'm always up to a challenge, problem for me is just having the time.

rjwest
02-16-2005, 14:27
Gotta have the basic gages on the dash....

I satisified with the carcode ,for the price I payed I guess I can't expect a Full tuturial on the Program. IT reads all the sensors That I'm Aware of and all the transmission info too.
I have not needed the data for my Truck or the wifes buick, but it is nice knowing, I may be able to fix the wifes car , if needed
did find that I could reset a LIMP mode due to a
Overboost condition. Use to have to shut off key. Program code clear resets Limp modes also

If you are quite computer savy and like palying around, there is LOTS of capability in the program.

Note: there have been many releases of the Data
for the Carcode over the past years. and all free.

He just posts it aand you download it. And Pepper
is helpfull if you need to ask any questions...

GMC Hauler
02-16-2005, 16:07
I continiue to work with these people on the updates to the program. I have about 6 beta versions. The newest version has over 500 possible extended sensors for GM. The purchase price was more, but customer support has been great. On more than one ocasion, I have had a new version in 10 minutes of sending an error. Here is a list of what is reading properly at this time:

Engine Speed
Desired Idle
ECT
Startup Coolant
IAT
ECT Sensor
Boost Solenoid
Boost Pressure
Fuel Temp
Fuel Rate
Glow Plug
Des Inj Timing
Actual Inj Timing
APP Angle
Inj Pump Sol Closure Time
MPH
Crank Ref Missed
Inj. Pump Cam REference Missed
Lift Pump
Engine Load
Engine Torque
# of current DTC's
Ignition Colts
TFT
TFT Range
Calc A/C load
Mil Lamp
Engine Run time

Sensors that they were working on:

TCC Enabled
Baro
TDC Offset
APP 1
APP 2
APP 3
Brake Switch

Sensors that were not present:

ESO Solenoid
Glow Plug system
TR Switch
Lift Pump System
DTC's Set this ign
A/C request
A/C relay
4wdl mode
Front Axle Switch
A/B/C range Sw
1-2 Sol 2-3 Sol Range
Device Control
PC Solenoid

There are some other transmission sensors and parameters that i have not paid attention to, but have used a few and they work fine.

The product, in my opinion will be the standard, it just needs a little time. I am satisfied with it so far. If it wasnt for the great customer support, i would have sent it back.

They tell me that the next release will have many commands that it can direct the PCM to perform. Which ones, i dont know yet and we will have to see.

Some of the problems is the data they are gettting for programming the sensor ranges. Their data is at odds with my service manual. Of course, i have sent them a copy of what i have, and I test every sensor and provide feedback.

Rjwest, how do you determine what a "hidden code is?" Can you see it on your code screen? I am not sure if I can see this or not. I have seen a pending code that it doesnt recognize, and the service manual doesnt mention. It is code U3900. I have no idea about it.

[ 02-16-2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: GMC Hauler ]

GMC Hauler
02-16-2005, 17:08
Bob,

If you were to buy one you would definitely would want the enhanced version..

Scooby
02-17-2005, 03:02
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
howdy
I was just in touch with them also to ask if thier machine was capable of reprograming the GM vehicles. No way, and not in the future either. That would be the only reason that I would consider buying one of these tools. Other than a Tech II or a OTC it doesn't sound like any scan tool will reprogram. Both of those tools cost BIG BIG :eek: $
For all the other data that people are normally talking about I think a good set of gauges works fine.
L8r
Conley I dont think the TechII or OTC REPROGRAM either. I dont know what you are trying to reprogram, but the AutoEnginuity does have bidirectional communication, and will RESET crank TDC on gas vehicles, according to rep I talked to. On 6.5's you just need it to READ TDC offset, then do the accelerator pump proceedure to re-learn it. I thought the TechII's would reset it automatically, but that is not the case. Must hold accel. down as per manual. I dont think the computer in the 6.5 can be reprogrammed by any tool in the vehicle. THats why Heath & Kennedy offer computer swaps.
I am planning on getting the AutoEnginuity software, so if I am wrong about its capabilities, please let me know. From talking to them, it seems to do as much if not more than TechII. I am still researching it though.

GMC Hauler
02-17-2005, 06:11
I do think, based on what I see. their statements and the willingness to update that this will be the standard in the very near future. They have stated to me once that they intend it to be a one for one swap with the tech II. It would be nice, but we will see. The best thing we can do is let them know we are there and we are watching with interest and our wallets. I have let them know that I am a member of a group of people that own 6.5's and several own tech II's, but many more would like to own tech II's OR an equivalent.

Let them know that you heard about them and how you heard about them. The head guy is Jay Horak [autoengi@autoenginuity.com] and his number is 480-326-3257. A gentle push in the right direction can benefit us all.

If you can hold on a bit, i think they are ready to releasse a new version real soon. You can ask them about it.

Bob's 6.5TD
02-17-2005, 10:19
GMC, when you say "I have let them know that I am a member of a group of people that own 6.5's" do you actually tell them about the "TheDieselPage"? I think we should, its basicly a voice that gains credibility, because of the quality of people, (and a great job that the mediators do in keeping the trash off the site)who are dedicated to the GM diesels. I'll admit this is/was the first forum I've ever joined or participated in because as a rule no matter what the subject was it always seems that sooner or later, opinions are not respected and then they lose site of the objective, that's when I disregard most everything I thought I was getting, as unreliable. Vendors stand to improve thier position in this market, and ultimately, because of better products and services, we win as well, where it feels the best, through quality and price.
It was Jay that I spoke to yesterday, and I may have a few more questions, so if I call him back I think I should mention the "TheDieselPage" in order to reinforce what I stated above, as well as when I call other vendors. Since I'm new to the page I would appreciate if one of you veterans enlighten me in the error of my thoughts, should I be missing something.

rjwest
02-17-2005, 14:03
GMC HAULER:

Codes were "hidden" as I did not get a " Light "
when I lost power ( Turbo master upgrade ).

I could not read this Limp mode " Hidden " code/.
With a Cheap OBD2 scanner nor with the carcode
Program, But a " Clear " codes with the Carcode would reset the PCM ( Cheap OBD2 reader would not reset it )
. I am told that a IGN Power Off/on would have also reset the Overboost ( whatever ) code that was set.

Since installing the boost fooler I do not have this problem, therfore I do not know if Carcode
would read the fault condition.

There is also a " Hidden " code ( does not turn on MIL light but forces Transmission into Full pressure shifts), This occured with the BD Torque Lock installed.

I am impressed with the data that you have collected. Will check on carcode.

Do you have a referance for the format of the " Write " commands , I would like to try to do a
cylinder balance test......

GMC Hauler
02-17-2005, 14:51
I have asked them about "The Diesel Page", and they have never heard about it. I talked about it briefly. It would benefit all of us if you mentioned it again, that you mention it, backgrounds of various members (engineers, buisnessmen, enthusiasts) and how many menbers it comprises. If enough of us mention it, they will take interest, which benefits us.

I have no reference for the write commands, I spoke about this on the phone. I seem to remember that the release that contains the "Commands" is due out soon.

Dvldog 8793
02-17-2005, 15:12
Howdy
If you look at the options for a OTC tool they list a GM reprogram kit. It allows you to rewritte the computer settings. I'm not sure how much trouble a dummy like myself could into with such a tool but it would seem like ALLOT! The upgrade for this capabilty was another grand on top of the scan tool and kit, so the total price was about $4000.00 !!!! I have been told that a properly outfitted TechII will do the same thing and it cost about the same also. I have three GM dealers close by and only one has the TechII set up to do this. Needless to say he makes some money from it. If you go to the OTC website you can find all this info. Also Autoenginuty said that they have no plans to include these capabilities.

GMC Hauler
02-17-2005, 15:25
Let me correct myself: when i say "write" commands, what i mean is that the laptop will command the PCM to perform some function or testing, such as "command time". Now, I don't know if "Command Time" will be included. I did not mean that the Laptop would reprogram the PCM.

I guess some of the old computer programming lingo leaked in. Sorry for the confusion.

GMC Hauler
02-17-2005, 17:09
The problem I am still having with TDC offset (I thought they had it licked on one version, I guess not) is that the data AutoEnginuity gets states that the TDC Offset range is per GM spec is -2861.14 to 2883.50. I have showed them the data from the service manual, but we can't get that to work. Anyone have any advice about this spec? Is there a conversion factor in use here?

rjwest
02-18-2005, 12:49
GMC Hauler. Thanks for all the info:

Great Post.... I would spend some extra money if a " Complete " Useable package were available.

GMC Hauler
02-19-2005, 21:57
I've got wood.....

They sent me the new version to test and fix some last minute problems tonight, and the features rock. It reads all sensors now. It now reads TDC offset correctly (12 hours too late, I just paid the dealer to set my TDC offset this morning to -1.76).

The thing that you guys will drool about is that it now has commands to perform various operations. It has the following:

A/C relay
Boost Solenoid
Cylinder power balance
engine shut off
engine speed control
fuel pump
glow plug
injection pump time set
malfunction indicator lamp
sts lamp

It has me exicted.....

They also tell me that the program does all the functions of the Duramax. I can't verify this, but if someone oned this software/hardware, or lives close to me, we can get together and use my equipment to verify. I live in Bremerton, Washington.

Is this list missing any commands for the 6.5???

Hang on guys, this version including our updates will be out real soon (within a week, they tell me).

Tommrrow, after I do some other testing, I will check each sensor for accuracy. A preliminary look at each one looked promising.

rjwest
02-20-2005, 02:01
Sounds Great, I lik the cylinder balance test,

I will have to check prices and see if my hardware cable will work.

I'L be right over for a Demo , Leaving florida
this afternoon, ( JUST KIDDING )

GMC Hauler
02-20-2005, 16:02
THE TECH II IS DEAD!!!! (at least for 6.5 owners)

I tested the new version, and most sensors work. They are correcting the ones now and adding the missing ones. (they currently can't read bit sensors (sensors with a on or off, 0 or 1 state), but state that will be available in a future version)

The commands it can perform and their results are (verified today):

A/C relay: turned on and off the A/C comressor

Boost Solenoid: turned on and off the boost solenoid

Engine shut off: turned off the engine shut off solenoid, suburban sputtered and shut off

Fuel pump (asked them to rename this to lift pump):turned on and off the lift pump.

Malfunction indicator lamp: turned on and off the MIL lamp

Service throttle soon lamp: turned on and off my sts lamp

Engine speed control: allowed me to control my idle speed from 600-1500 in 100 rpm increments

Injection pump command time: made my desired inj pump timing go to 0. actual read 3.5

cylinder balance test: performed test on all cylinders, idle dropped each time, performed satisfactory.

Their final release is supposed to be out shortly.

You ask if it was worth the money..... Now it is. Every penny....

[ 02-20-2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: GMC Hauler ]

Scooby
02-21-2005, 03:15
Thanks for all the info GMC.
I got a laptop off EBAY. Didnt have a real good excuse for buying one, till now. Wife has 2002 Trailblazer..."So you see honey, now I can plug in to your truck, and wont have to rely on the dealer..." .

Im gonna get the Autoenginuity software soon. I want to make sure the laptop is ok, then the software comes !!

Scooby
02-21-2005, 03:19
Originally posted by rjwest:

I'L be right over for a Demo , Leaving florida
this afternoon, ( JUST KIDDING ) RJWEST--

Do you live in Florida ?? Travel thru central Fla?? I live about 20 minutes from Disney- off 27.

rjwest
02-21-2005, 04:42
Scooby, Jacksonville Fl. ( Switzland area, south of 295... Don't get to much farther south,,
Soon as it gets hot, Headed North....

moondoggie
02-21-2005, 09:17
Good Day!

Too bad it doesn't work for us OBD-I oldtimers (per their ad)... :( All my stuff is '95 or older.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Bob's 6.5TD
02-21-2005, 11:48
GMC, just curious about what the dealership charged to set your TDC offset?

rj, GMC should be a dealers rep for Auto Enginuity, he makes a pretty good case! I'm sure I would use the program more than I think if I owned it, but I wonder if I really need all that? I hate to think I'm paying close to 3x time the carcode price when it would suffice. What do you think?

GMC, I came in to the office with the single intent to purchase the carcode, but I thought I would check this thread first. Now I'm back to where I was last week, undecided. I need convincing. Maybe I should buy rj's carcode and let him get the Auto Enginuity.

GMC Hauler
02-21-2005, 12:08
I know, sometimes I sound like I am selling something....

I believe in talking about busnesses, both good and bad. If a buisness has a good product, support, and/or price, I will tell everyone I know that may be interested.

But.... If your a bad buisness, sell a poor product, poor support, and/or price, I will tell just the same.

I do this with everything I know, right down to the local bread bakery (which I love. Where else can you go and get 10 speciality loaves for $5?)

I had my TDC offset done at Today Chevrolet in Bremerton, WA.

If I hadn't purchased this product yet, and they promised all the features, it might be a little tough considering the price between Carcode and Autoenginuity. Now that I have it, and they are close to the final product, and having used what is almost the final product, I would never even consider Carcode. It's in a different league. And customer support has been more than excelent, which is something other members aren't saying about Carcode.

Consider this... Now that you can set TDC offset, Timing, and perform the cylinder balance test, it should pay for itself down the road (assuming you keep you vehicles like I do, and you do all of your own work). You will eventually need to perform at least one of those peocedures, and you will already have the tool that is proven and be confortable with it. Now all you need is the injection pump wrenches, which can be somewhat pricey. But YOU WILL NEVER BE AT THE MERCY OF THE DEALER.

rjwest
02-21-2005, 13:56
Bob's 6.5l : Might consider getting rid of my Carcode.

GMC: What I'm hearing, You get data that you are
quite sure of being correct, Was never to sure of parameters that I was reading on the carcode.

Useable and does the diagnostics ( Like the cylinder balance test )

Check there site: 300 US, does that sound correct.
Also, I see a restriction on number of computers it can be loaded on. I crashed my laptop at least 5 times this year, Need to speak to then about reloading...REALLY DOING A GREAT JOB FOR US<
SEEING THAT YOU HAVE BECOME THE DEFACTO REP,
CAN YOU GET US A DISCOUNT????? :D

GMC Hauler
02-21-2005, 17:09
It looks to be about $300. I ordered mine through eBay, which they sell through. It was a little cheaper there.

I am pretty sure about all the sensors. For example, I check all three APP sensors with the key on, engine off. It reads very closely to what the serive manual states. I do the same to all the other sensors with the engine running.

I found my alternator pulley was the incorrect size. The RPM via this tool and the Tach were off by 250 RPM (tach higher). I checked on the diesel page, and measured my alternator puley. It was smaller than it was supposed to be. The warranty information I got from the dealer about this vehicle shows that the alternator was replaced before I bought it. Makes sense.

The rest I check against installed gages, ect. Percent load goes to 100% when I floor it, APP angle is at 0% idle, 100% floored. I walk through every sensor that they have and compare it to the factory service manual. If there are any incorrect sensors, I wouldn't know. But seeing that I just recieved yet another verion, provide proof and they will fix it.

I wasn't aware that it could be loaded on only 5 computers. Can you provide me the web link so I may ask about it?

I will ask about a Diesel Page Member's Discount. I cant garuantee anything, they know they have the market on this.

GMC Hauler
02-21-2005, 19:04
Negative to a Diesel Page Member discount. He stated that has to be coordinated through their resellers. Maybe one of our sellers can pick it up and resell it to us for a discount??????? ;)

MTTwister
02-22-2005, 08:01
GMC - How about Trans Temp too high? ( Cheap TCC Lockup smile.gif ) This (had I had it, of course) would have saved me the cost of a dealer analysis on the road - when I wired up my stinking resistor in parallel to the switch ( versus in series).

rj - 5 laptop loads- I would think they're trying to limit the number of Concurrent users, not necessarily restrict one user getting it loaded on a functional laptop. ( Then of course, from their point of view - they'd only have your word that you re-installing "17" times on the same laptop...) Hmmm, How would they do the loading / install counter, anyway?

This sounds like a winner - need to get Sim City, etc off the old laptop and free up some real estate. Thanks GMC.

rjwest
02-22-2005, 13:17
Called Auto Equity: 3 Loads only per software lic.

I'd use then up the first day, I screw up more things on my computer than on my truck.....

I don't know how they do it, Not interested in " stealing " anything. Just do stupid things with my computer.

I run Delorme GPS, I think it capatures my " Video " driver space. Screen starts getting " wobbly" untill I reload Windows.
I guess I need a new Laptop with the new program so I Can buy new Parts for " OLD " truck ???????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

GMC Hauler
02-22-2005, 14:21
MTT,

The transmission temperature reads out correctly on the laptop, and tracks fine.

Mike Pope
02-27-2005, 20:11
Originally posted by moondoggie:
Good Day!

Too bad it doesn't work for us OBD-I oldtimers (per their ad)... :( All my stuff is '95 or older.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044 Wasn't Kennedy working on something like this at some point in time a couple years ago?

Bob's 6.5TD
03-01-2005, 11:49
GMC, ok I did it, I bought the AutoEnginuity today, so where do I send your commission check? You earned it, they ought to compensate you for helping them work the bugs too, I should have requested that I wanted the "GMC Hauler, bugless" version. Also thanks for mentioning that you bought yours via ebay, it saved me $50.

rjwest
03-01-2005, 13:23
GMS HAULER, When you do the cylinder balance test, can you see the " WRITE " commands to the PCM.

I have a " Command screen" but have not been able to find the protocal for the obd2.

GMC Hauler
03-01-2005, 13:37
You click on the same line as the balance test where it says "none". It will have a drop down menu that will allow you to select which cylinder you want to test. As soon as you select it, the command will go out to the PCM and it will perform the commanded function.

It is the second column in that menu.

If you need, I will walk you through it if necessary. Email me your contact info. Rtea1234@yahoo.com

I never discussed compensation with them.... I was happy to get a product that was tailored more to my liking and really eliminates my need for a tech II. I'm not saying I wouldn't take it if it came my way... I wont ask for it, though.

It would even be nice to have every option they have for their product and all their future products. That would be nice.

Maybe one of you can tell me how I can make one of my pictures appear in the sidebar next to my name. I havent had any luck with that.

GMC Hauler
03-27-2005, 19:03
I have a new Beta Version for testing. Here are the changes:

Release Candidate of 3.3:

* Added GM Body and Transmission controls ( xx sensors and xx functional commands).

* Added GM DPID support. Now offering 5 times the sampling throughput.

* Added new Grid data view replaces the Dashtop.

* Added VIN decoding to automatically setup the make, model, year, and related vehicle information.

* Added new Powerstroke Quick Connect. (Select Ford Powerstroke for the Initialization Type.)

* Added more Nissan DTC descriptions.

* Added support for setting "Enhanced Powertrain" as default system if available.

* Improved connection times and Mode 6 pulling by as much a 2x faster.

* Improved BlueTooth Wireless connectivity and throughput.

* Improved auto-detect enhanced sensors algorithms for GM and removed it entirely for Ford.

* Improved all menu items look and feel.

Fixed Installation not adding XSL files.

* Fixed MRU not dropping down previously selected Vehicle Selections.

* Fixed IM and DTC reports showing 6 hours wrong time.

* Fixed Toyota Mode 6 Oxygen Sensor Monitoring listing as A/C Monitoring.

* Fixed Chrysler Mode 6 decoding.

* Fixed Ford Enhanced O2 Inputs maximum reporting as 66V instead of 1V.

The new version has this new grid data view that you all will like.

slagona
04-05-2005, 10:24
Just a note regarding the ebay version of AutoEnginuity: The ebay version is a

GMC Hauler
04-05-2005, 10:52
They just informed me of this situation about a week ago. Jay's response was to get the basic version anywhere you want, including eBay, but to buy the update through them on their site.

I think the data on setting TDC offset without turning the pump is incorrect, but I could be wrong. In the service manual, it tells you to shut off the engine and adjust the pump, restart and recheck. I watched the GM mechanic perform this several times at a GM dealer. You can erase the stored value and cause it to relearn, and it will probably relearn a different value everytime (at least with a timing chain). I have seen it relearn from -1.67 to -1.76 with just an erase and relearn.

I did purchase mine off of ebay, before they started selling a lite version.

You can operate with the basic version. You have all the same screens, but you have signifigantly less sensors and no commands. The update is a key code that activates the expanded sensors. It is not a patch or different versions of the software.

A very detailed explanation of timing, TDC offset, and how the pump operates can be read here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007627)

rameye
04-05-2005, 15:24
myself being a novice was able to advance my offset from -.5 to-1.94 without touching the pump using a tech1.

So it can be done without physically getting out there.

my .02

GMC Hauler
04-05-2005, 15:33
Rameye, were you able to affect it by adjusting it or did you just relearn and the PCM selected a new value? By affect I mean did you somehow increase or decrease the value stored in memory? I have never seen or used a TECH I or a TECH II, so, of course I cant comment on this. Please clarify for me, I am probably hosed...

slagona
04-06-2005, 07:23
I was hoping someone who had actually set the TDC offset with a Tech II would chime in - as I only have the instructions (given to me by JK) when I was going to do mine with the Tech II a few years ago. But I ended up having it set by a dealer when other work was being done.

There are two ways to set the TDC Offset (OBD II) that I am aware of: 1) With a Tech II 2) manually moving the pump, forcing a relearn, and reading the current TDC offset value with a scanning tool - repeating these steps until the desired value is achived.

There may be more ways, but these are two methods that have been discussed on this board. With the Tech II, the set fuction (may not be correct terminology as I lost the instructions due to hard drive loss) uses the stepper motor to internally move the pump. The current value flashes on the display and you have to stop at the value you are looking for. Then initiate a relearn and read the value to verify. If the pump has been manually moved so that it is outside the range of the stepper motor's range for the value you desire, then you may need to manually move the pump back so that it is within the range you desire.

If I read gmctd's thread correctly - and I haven't reread it in months (weeks?) - the gist of it was that 8.5 degrees of timing results in -1.94 TDC offset - since it was shown in years past the -1.94 is an optimal setting for TDC offset - it can be concluded that 8.5 degrees in timing is an optimal timing setting (sorry gmctd for the overly simplified summary - there is much more to it than that). It is necessary to move the pump for timing - but not necessarily required to move it to set TDC Offset.

Hopefully this information is accurate, someone with real life experience please verify.

--Scott

GMC Hauler
04-06-2005, 09:12
I found this post last night. Click Here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003623) Read all of it, particurally the link from More Power. A few of the posts (not More Power's article) seem to contradict each other, but from more power's article, it seems that I can force the PCM to relearn the TDC offset without shutting down the vehicle and using the APP to the floor trick, instead using the TECH II and/or TECH I. I am having the guys at AutoEnginutiy check in on this. If it is indeed a command (and it seems to be), I will have them add this.

I also wish someone with much TECH II experience would chime in here. :D

Rameye,

I'll be moving to your part of the country, in your area in August...

GMC Hauler
04-06-2005, 09:56
I verified with AutoEnginuity and they checked their Tech II and the "TDC Learn" command is covered 1997 and up, but not 1996. Anyone with a Tech II verify this???

rameye
04-06-2005, 13:19
Not an expert here but here is the way it worked for me to the best of my recollection.

First I looked at the actual pump timing which was 3.5 via the tech1.
Then I reset this value to zero (I did this because on previous attempts I couldn't get the numbers I wanted)
Then I told the the tech1 to do a tdc learn..it started flashing the very familiar timing settings discussed here randomly.
When it landed on the setting I desired I stopped the learn process.
Voila! -1.94 was my number.

Shut the engine down, restarted and re-read the value and it was still -1.94...success!

No more than 5 minutes spent.

GMC Hauler you mean NH?

GMC Hauler
04-06-2005, 15:43
Rameye,
nope. Connecticut, in your general area that your signature states.

rameye
04-06-2005, 16:06
GMC..

cool now you have a tech1 to experiment with also..

e-mail me when you move..

rameye@optonline.net

gmctd
04-06-2005, 17:03
What are your final DES\ACT time figures at -1.95deg TDCO, rameye?

If you're checking this out, CharliePeterson, what is your DES\ACT, after your -1.95deg TDCO Learn?

Check it before commanding TIME SET, to determine the current value PCM is demanding (DES) and using (ACT).

[ 04-07-2005, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

rameye
04-07-2005, 09:10
gmctd..

I need a little bit more info to answer that..
I'm new to this device and what I'm looking at.

Is des desired pump timing and act actual?

If so, I'll fire it up tonite and let you know.

gmctd
04-07-2005, 11:46
Correct - I'm interested in result of manipulating TDCO without associated timing advance.

Thanks

GMC Hauler
04-08-2005, 07:55
I have found out about the TDC Learn command. If you log in under 1997 or newer, the command is there. I didn't see it, because I log in under a 1996.

So I logged in under 1997, and watched my TDC offset value. It was -1.76. ran the TDC learn command. It almost instantly learned a different value each time i ran it, -1.94, -1.76, and -1.87. So it works, and I am asking them to add it to the 1996 logon.

making it better, one command at a time..... :D

Dvldog 8793
04-08-2005, 11:37
GMC-
Are you referring to the autoenginuity program or a TechII? I just got the laptop stuff and they told me that it would not change the TDC offset. I havn't had time to really play with it as a friend was borrowing it almost as soon as it was out of the box. I have the enhanced version right from the company. Seem like good guys to deal with. Any hints or clues that you could pass on would be great. I have been reading the posts. I have version 3.2.1 and was told that after Apr15 I could a new updated version.
Thanks
L8r
Conley

GMC Hauler
04-11-2005, 13:48
I am referring to the AutoEnginuty reader. I have never placed a hand on a TECH I or TECH II personally.

Someone on the phone may have bumb doped you, but I was able to cause the PCM to relearn the TDC offset while the engine was running. I enabled the command, and the TDC offset value changed a few seconds later. I did this three times.

I have had a few problems with the software, which I have worked out with the manfacturer. To be honest, I dont know what version is available on their website anymore, as I run the beta's all the time.

The only hints I have to pass on at this point is to play with all features. I find what I believe are new features from time to time but end up having been there for a while. Guess it may be old age catching up with me.

Let me know if you need any help.

Dvldog 8793
04-12-2005, 02:57
Howdy
I plan on playing with it today and I will let you know what my results are. I may start a new thread with a similar title.
Thanks!
L8r
Conley

DmaxMaverick
06-15-2008, 14:34
TTT for Joe Bleaux