PDA

View Full Version : How tough is the Duramax???

Kennedy
08-24-2010, 19:03
My 2002 has been campaigned for many years now and was pushed way past the limits of stock components numerous times. It's been the test bed for many new products and development of many of my own. Won the DP Pull off multiple times, made 739RWHP back in 2005 when that was more or less before it's time. I made numerous hooks to the sled at this power level. The setup was a completely stock engine with KD 20% injectors and a custom KD nitrous setup. The turbo was modified with a Garrett wheel many years ago.

When asked how to duplicate this setup or push past the 500RWHP mark I've often used the old adage "Do as I say not as I do" combined with "You are going to blow it up." Then I get the question "how come you can get away with it?" to which I answer: 1 part setup, 1 part skill, and 1 part dumb luck. I was always very deliberate in how and when I applied the juice and believe I had a very smartly plumbed system much of which was learned first and second hand from Dennis Perry's experience.

Well eventually this kind of activity catches up with most everybody. In 2009 the perfect Trifecta came up: 1) Diesel Power Challenge-Chris Klar entry 2) TS Outlaw event truck pull (Guy Nelson put a bug in my ear about the 2.6" class and nitrous allowed) and 3) Buick GS Nationals. All three events were at the same venue and more or less back to back to back.

The TS event was the rainy/muddy one that went until 5am. Track conditions were lousy at best. I managed to finish 11th of 106 entries, but it was no test of power. More like a test of durability as I was in 4th gear and screaming RPM. The truck never really felt the same after that. It went from dominating the local "brush" pulls to a 3rd or 4th place truck. Now in fairness, the trucks that were beating me were open driveline, trailer only purpose built trucks, (mine was driven in) but mine just lost it's edge and did not feel strong.

Loyal's Corn Fest is last weekend in August. I pulled there and placed 3rd I believe it was. I was off the pace by several feet. On the way home I decided to give it one last "little toot" and that was it. Like playing cards in the spokes. It coasted for miles and probably could have made it home, but I couldn’t make the turn fast enough safely especially without power steering. I haven't yet looked into what is broken, but initially by the sound thought it was cam key and piston to valve as nothing came out the bottom like we so commonly hear. The coolant drained with the oil and I have coolant in the head to intake interface as well as one exhaust manifold so it can't be good.

I knew this day was coming and had been building a 7.1 stroker with lots of Socal and Kennedy goodies for quite some time. Actually over 2 years in the making as I waited for the weak links to show. It was ready in May, but for some reason I just was not motivated. I suppose my lack of motivation was partly because I hadn't decided on the induction at the time. Well we are finally rolling with the project. The engine is in and much of the MPI race twin setup is ready.

There is a lot of routing to figure out and really no assistance to be had on how to get the AC and heater tubes routed. Yes this one will still be a street friendly unit.

The OE firewall insulation was removed and replaced first. I've seen too many fires where this insulation gets saturated with combustibles and gets lit.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/547/thumbs/Firewall_Insulation.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/547/thumbs/Engine_on_stand.jpg

More Power
08-25-2010, 11:50
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing more about your engine build... :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
08-26-2010, 05:43
Sounds like you got alot of life out of the LB7, considering. Those are some amazing power numbers!

Kennedy
08-30-2010, 07:20
It's in and running. Made a "shakedown" trip to the grocery store and no leaks or blown IC boots. One brief "roll in" saw 68 psi boost. This was of course after several more moderate tugs.

Time for another brief run to get it warm, drop the oil, cut open the filter and refill with the good stuff...

Kennedy
09-07-2010, 07:57
Preliminary numbers are STP corrected by my CALIBRATED weather station: 1212 lb/ft @ 2200 RPM and 871HP at 4,000 RPM. As you can imagine the TQ curve is LOOOONG and flat. Best part is I'm not fueling it hard enough to even begin to lean on the chargers. I could probably give the curve some shape if I had more CP3 supply, but we'll try it like it is for a while. It's VERY fun to drive on the street. My initial impressions were spot on. It spools like the LB7 500HP setup on a stock charger (maybe even better) and pulls like an 800HP freight train. For those (like me) who prefer the raw uncorrected numbers they are 1146 and 823.

All in all I am right where I wanted to be. Making excellent power while retaining drivability and to top it all off, I have a TON of room to grow. I must say though that I might revisit even larger injectors in the future. Depends what happens in the CP3 department.