PDA

View Full Version : Best HD/towing converter for 6.5s?

markrinker
01-03-2005, 05:55
What is concensus on the best converter for our trucks? I have all the 'normal' mods in place (boost, fuel, exhaust), but no intercooling. Want to harness all of it with the right converter for the job.

CareyWeber
01-03-2005, 06:13
Mark I'd like to try ATS's Triple lock converter.

I currently have 187K miles on my truck and the 4L80E is stock. The only thing I have done to it other just basic maintance is clean the speed sensor and it is in the transfer case.

Mark GM also makes a newer stronger version of the 4L80E it's called the 4L85E. It was created for the Subs with the 8.1 gasser I have a part # for it some where I'll try to find it.

Carey

rjschoolcraft
01-03-2005, 06:36
I looked at the TripleLok from ATS back in August. They wanted around $1300.00 for it! :eek: I opted to go back with a stock unit. The original one went over 213,000 hard miles. I know have 10,000 plus on the replacement. Based on the noises that I was hearing, I think the overrunning clutch failed.

jspringator
01-03-2005, 08:30
I looked at the triple loc too. Priced way out of my league. My local rebuilder put in a stronger than stock converter that he said had stronger welds, etc.; a couple hundred more bucks. A tow through the West Virginia mountains in OD did mine in. Kept going into limp mode and hunting, and I didn't know to put it in third until the damage was apparently done, but didn't fail until a week after I got back. Rebuilder claimed a gear broke; asked if I put it into drive while still rolling backward, something I never do, but since it had 120,000 miles on it when I bought it, I can't claim it was never done. Truck did really well in 3rd; I may tow that way all the time. I plan to get another transmission cooler before I tow again. Mine went 175,000 miles. Mobil one since 120,000. PO changed trans fluid at least once.

Kennedy
01-03-2005, 09:28
The 6.5 doesn't have the TQ to require a triple disc. I had a better converter done for my 96 while I had the engine out the first time. The old disc wasn't hurt by any means, but I did have a Transgo full valve body kit in it. During the 75k prior to my ownership, it was used to haul horse trailer.

CareyWeber
01-03-2005, 10:11
Mark the GM part # for the 4L85E is PN 24221100.

4WheelOffroad.com did a write up on the 4L85E in Dec 04.

They state that the 4L80E is rated at 440 ftlb and the 4L85E is rated at 460 ftlb.

"It's strengthened with five pinion planetaries, stronger input shaft, stronger plastics, and a torque converter with furnace-brazed vanes to handle the torque of the 8.1L"

Carey

G. Gearloose
01-03-2005, 10:33
I don't know about the plastics and input shaft, but the other items resemble the 4L80 as it is....

Never knew it needed a stronger input shaft, either. Sounds like GM Marketing.

markrinker
01-04-2005, 06:06
Called the dealership yesterday. The 4L85E is a new unit and sells for $2400.

The parts man could not come up with a torque converter to match it to my diesel. Stock GM for the 1994 K3500 is $350.

Pulling transmission today.

BigDiesel
01-04-2005, 08:03
I will be going with a hughes performance converter.
Read...
XTM/XFM
These units comprise our finest tow convertor technology. All units are designed with Heavy Duty use in mind. From extra brazing to greater fluid capacity, bearing assemblies. special stator configurations and design increase torque multiplication, allowing more towing capacity and in most cases, increased gas mileage.

Sounds like win-win to me, and the best thing is you can get them from summit racing for about $530 and free shipping. Have a look.

edit: The summit part # is HUP-25LXFM