PDA

View Full Version : AC service port replacement

MikeChase
08-26-2010, 20:03
Anyone having experience replacing the service ports only (not entire high/low manifold hose assembly) - how to do this? Both ports are leaking through the valve cores which had been replaced last year by a shop of good repute. OK, now I'll give it a try but replace the ports too. Got ports from NAPA - looks good. The OEM ports appear to require a special wrench (what a surprise) I can improvise but they are SERIOUSLY attached to the AC manifold assembly. What to do? I'm thinkin' 'bout some localized high heat...

(Just to mention, I do have experience in auto AC systems, although dated; and R134 gauge set vacuum pump etc)

Thanks!

oh yeah - 96 Suburban front ac only

Truckie117
08-27-2010, 06:58
Hi
The High side port comes off if you grab just the top of the fitting you have to replace the whole thing the low side you can replace the bicycle type fitting with same core tool as a bike valve. The High side santech part number is MT0105-1 I believe I got it at Autozone

MikeChase
09-01-2010, 11:45
Thanks, I had replacements just couldn't remove the service ports. Ended up re-seating the Schrader valves - seems good.

Subzilla
09-02-2010, 06:09
Got the same leaky valve on the low side of my '83. So I can just use the valve tool and unscrew the Shrader valve out to either reseat it or replace it? Sounds too easy but I'll give it a try! Will I loose my load of freon or is it possible to finagle the valve back to its proper position before the freon escapes? I don't want to have evacuate the system so I'm thinking as long as the freon is still flowing out, no moisture will enter. Sound thinking?

rustyk
09-02-2010, 17:45
Be sure to wear gloves - you don't want that stuff hitting your skin, and your hand will be right in the flow.