PDA

View Full Version : Wix fuel filter - "new"

Willcoc
08-31-2010, 09:50
My dad got a new fuel filter. It was manufactured by WIX but looks different and has a plastic body. Did he get the correct filter? Looks like it will fit and the book in it box talked the changes to the filter to make it better.

THEFERMANATOR
08-31-2010, 20:15
Yes it will fit, but i have read about problems with them if you're running much of a tune as the new 2 micron single element filter is more restrictive. The new ACDELCO/RACOR filter uses a 2 filter design in one housing.

Willcoc
09-01-2010, 03:26
No tune on this truck but does flow fuel at a pretty good rate due to pulling trailer ( 9 mpg last trip). So should he return and obtain the racor version?

DmaxMaverick
09-01-2010, 08:38
Yes it will fit, but i have read about problems with them if you're running much of a tune as the new 2 micron single element filter is more restrictive. The new ACDELCO/RACOR filter uses a 2 filter design in one housing.

All late/current production filters, including the plastics, should be double element filters. If they are not, they are not OEM compliant. Wix and other brands pride themselves with, "meets or exceeds OEM specifications".

The original Duramax filters were single element. They were upgraded (according to GM) at the end of 2005, IIRC, to the double. Owners at the time were provided a free filter service which included the new filter, under a recall campaign. The "new" double element filters are MORE restrictive than previous singles, in my experience, and according to reports of others. I've heard no reports from anyone saying the later filters are less restrictive. Stands to reason....more filter media layers is more restrictive (or more appropriately, require service sooner). Has to be, to do its job. They have always been "2 micron rated", regardless of design, mfg, or date of mfg, if they are/were OEM spec.

The filters are not "restrictive", new, out of the box. They get restrictive as they are used. If your filter becomes restrictive, change it. That's what they are there for. If Wix certifies them as OEM spec, I would trust it. If you have a failure, and find out they aren't, they are liable. Same for any reputable brand.

Just say NO! to Fram. Friends don't let friends use Fram!

THEFERMANATOR
09-01-2010, 22:52
All late/current production filters, including the plastics, should be double element filters. If they are not, they are not OEM compliant. Wix and other brands pride themselves with, "meets or exceeds OEM specifications".

The original Duramax filters were single element. They were upgraded (according to GM) at the end of 2005, IIRC, to the double. Owners at the time were provided a free filter service which included the new filter, under a recall campaign. The "new" double element filters are MORE restrictive than previous singles, in my experience, and according to reports of others. I've heard no reports from anyone saying the later filters are less restrictive. Stands to reason....more filter media layers is more restrictive (or more appropriately, require service sooner). Has to be, to do its job. They have always been "2 micron rated", regardless of design, mfg, or date of mfg, if they are/were OEM spec.

The filters are not "restrictive", new, out of the box. They get restrictive as they are used. If your filter becomes restrictive, change it. That's what they are there for. If Wix certifies them as OEM spec, I would trust it. If you have a failure, and find out they aren't, they are liable. Same for any reputable brand.

Just say NO! to Fram. Friends don't let friends use Fram!

The new filter WIX is making is in fact a 2 micron which meets GM's spec of 3 micron or smaller. GM chose to have RACOR make there filters as dual element filter as it is a much better design. Also if you look at the new WIX plastic filters they are noticeably smaller in diameter to even the last generation of DMAX filters, and quite a bit smaller than the current RACOR ones. And there have been a few guys that have put on brand new WIX plastic filters and limped there trucks on big tunes due to low rail pressure, swap in a new RACOR filter and no more limp. And to disassemble one of the plastic filters is SUPER easy as one guy did it with a broom handle as they are just popped together, not what I want to trust filtering my high dollar high pressure injection system.