PDA

View Full Version : rear axle seal

lb7lbz
09-03-2010, 14:17
i have an 06 gmc cc da with 93k on it. about 3k ago the drivers side rear axle or wheel seal started leaking. i've replaced it 4 times now. the first time i think i screwed up the seal installing it. the 2nd time 3rd time and 4th time it hasnt leaked for about 4 days or 500 miles the starts again. the last time i replaced the inner bearing as well and siliconed around the seal in the hub with the same results. i also made sure the vent for the rear diff. wasnt clogged. 500 miles later leaking again. the only thing i can think of is the 6000 pound trailer i'm towing has no brakes and my rear rotors are getting really hot, new trailer will be here in 4 weeks. could the heat be killing the seal? i'm ready to light the truck on fire or sell it at this point.

cowboywildbill
09-04-2010, 11:47
Maybe, but it sounds more like maybe a bad surface area on the axle.
Did you lube the lip of the seal ?
Some seals come with lube on the inner lip but I like to put some lube on the surface area that contacts it also. Another thought, how high is the level of your gear lube in the rear?

WhiteTruck
09-04-2010, 15:23
My reply in this thread will likely address the problem you are having with the recurring leak.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31741

More Power
09-06-2010, 01:07
Excellent posts cowboywildbill & WhiteTruck. Thanks for letting us know.

Jim

lb7lbz
09-06-2010, 15:30
both excellent posts is right, however neither one cures my problem. after reading about the part of the seal sticking to the axle i thought for sure that was it. pulled it apart again today and nope nothing stuck to the axle. fluid level is ok. i put in 3 quarts after a drain. we'll see how long this seal lasts.