PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Grinds going into 2nd gear

kanui
09-03-2010, 18:48
1993 Chevy K3500 6.5 Manual trans: The problem is just as the title says. If the rpm is just right and the speed of the truck is just right, it will go into 2nd gear with no problem. If the rpm and or the speed of the truck is not perfect, it grinds going into 2nd gear. Same with down shifting to 2nd . I have bled the slave and there never was any air at all that came out. The other gears go in fine. I don't know if this is a synchronizer problem or if the problem could be fixed by replacing the clutch, pressure plate, turn or replace flywheel. Anybody have any good advice?

Thanks in advance

Robyn
09-04-2010, 07:01
If the issue were clutch related, the "Grind" would likely be present in other gears as well.

Sounds like the synchro in 2nd gear has gone south.

When you have the speeds just right "Phased" or at synchronous speed the synchro ring does not need to do anything much and thats why you dont get the grind.

My best guess is that the tranny needs an overhaul.

New bearings, synchros and such.

Robyn

sbond22
09-04-2010, 14:58
1993 Chevy K3500 6.5 Manual trans: The problem is just as the title says. If the rpm is just right and the speed of the truck is just right, it will go into 2nd gear with no problem. If the rpm and or the speed of the truck is not perfect, it grinds going into 2nd gear. Same with down shifting to 2nd . I have bled the slave and there never was any air at all that came out. The other gears go in fine. I don't know if this is a synchronizer problem or if the problem could be fixed by replacing the clutch, pressure plate, turn or replace flywheel. Anybody have any good advice?

Thanks in advance

Just double clutch when you upshift and it won't grind. The trans will probably last forever the way it is.

kanui
09-04-2010, 15:46
Tried double clutching ...that doesn't help either. I know all about shifting gears smoothly, I drove a 4 over 5 in my younger years:( Any tips on where I can get a rebuild kit and tips on performing this rebuild?

a5150nut
09-04-2010, 18:05
www.drivetrain.com/ all kinds of parts and advise. Service is great and prices ar good too. I've used them for clutch, trans, and transfer case.