PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shifting from R to P

Horse_gal_jen
09-07-2010, 09:11
We have recently discovered a problem with our truck where when you shift into P it is sometimes hesitant, and after a few seconds it finally clicks into place but makes a loud crushing pop can sound. it's much worse when sifting to park from reverse.

THe ABS light also comes on intermitently although the issues dont seem to be related yet.

We were thinking of having the transmission flushed but not sure if that would help if there is anywhere else to start looking for issues.

That'll teach me to loan out my truck to friends!! Never again!

DmaxMaverick
09-07-2010, 10:56
Are you referring to the "parking pawl engagement"?

If so, it may be completely normal. The Allison parking pawl is very large and more widely spaced than previous/other auto's. It will often require a little wheel roll to positively engage (sometimes significant), and can be quite profound and/or abrupt. Parking pawl engagement is not a reason for service, as nothing short of an overhaul could effect it in any way. Perhaps parking habits are different now than before, conditions are different, or it just went unnoticed before.

Horse_gal_jen
09-08-2010, 07:15
I've never heard of the "parking pawl engagement"

I googled it but didn't find anything on it that made sense to me.

But if it's any help, the truck didn't do this before. or at least no where near this severe. it was starting to act up on me a year ago or so like this but it seems to be much worse since we lent the truck to a friend. we were afraid he slammed it or forced it into park and missaligned something.

basically the shifter light sits at R for a few extra seconds and the truck wont shift into park. if you press harder on the break then it will sometimes go ahead in park, but it's hesitant to go into park when it acts up.

I had an issue before that brought up some transmission codes and they suggested the "neutral safety switch" was possibly the cause. the problem dissapeared so we never changed it. could this be it acting up again?

Hubby took it to a transmission guy now to get him to check for any codes so we'll see if that gives us any clues.

DmaxMaverick
09-08-2010, 08:06
OK, that's different. It isn't likely to be damaged internally by being slammed into park. The NSBU could be suspect if the PRNDL display hesitates or fails to indicate the position of the shift lever. If the display flashes, the NSBU has issues. Fortunately, it's a simple and inexpensive repair. If there are transmission codes, the SES should illuminate. If the NSBU was causing issues before, then cured itself, it may be returning for another round. Cooling weather may have something to do with it.

IMO, loaning vehicles to friends (or family) is like loaning money. I only do this for a very select few. When I do, it goes away like I don't expect to ever get it back. Some relationships aren't worth losing over something silly, like a vehicle (or money). At the same time, those are not the ones I worry about damaging things.

Horse_gal_jen
09-08-2010, 10:29
definitely not worth loaning out vehicles. it just creates tension. it's easier to just say no and deal with that source of tension than from that of a broken truck.

SO hubby took it to a transmission guy today who was not much help but he seems to think it's the linkage that goes from the transmission to the actual shifter. Hubby checked it out and doesn't see anything broken or obviously damaged, so tonight we are going to take apart the steering column and see if we can find anything out of place there.

Thinking now it's maybe just a loose bolt or clip on this wire becuase it seems like the linkage is sticking from time to time and refusing to let it slide into park.

calling to price new cables in a few as well. here's hoping they are terrible pricey.

thanks!

DmaxMaverick
09-08-2010, 11:30
You may not be alone. Have a look at THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=37703). (source and part #'s for the cable and other good stuff posted)

I suggest starting the checks at the tranny end, and focus on the NSBU. Easier to access, and more likely the source.

Horse_gal_jen
09-08-2010, 11:54
Thanks! off to check it out

Horse_gal_jen
09-10-2010, 07:33
Hubby crawled under last night while I shifted or tried to it was bad enough now that it wouldn't go into park. the mount right at the transmission is stretched or something and the linkage cable pulls right through it and slides all the way to the back of the truck then when you try to put it into park it can't push the plunger far enough forward to lock it into park. but if you hold the cable in place and shift it's fine. So we zip tied it into place in the mount and it shifts with no issues.

Doesn't give me a lot of faith in the "transmission guy" we took it to the other day who crawled underneath the truck and watched while hubby shifted through the gears. How did he not see the cable pulling all the way through like that. He told us he'd have to tear everything apart to find the problem. Me thinks he wanted to make a few extra bucks!

So problem solved. and now for good measure we are going to try and flush the transmission this week-end becuase it hasn't been done in who knows how long.

Thanks for all the help!!! Really appreciate it.

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2010, 10:18
That's great. Thanks for the update! Most often, it's something simple like that. Would you mind snapping a pic and posting it? I'd like to see just what's going on with this. It might help us all if we can determine a cause for the failure, and yours probably won't be the last we see of it.

Horse_gal_jen
09-10-2010, 12:15
Sure thing. I was going to take a picture last night but forgot. I'll grab one tonight and post it