PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L diesel

mschulze
09-08-2010, 09:29
I just traded for a 1992 1/2 ton with a 6.2L and I can't get it to start. The guy I traded drove it to my house approx 12 miles and shut it off. I installed 2 new batteries and new cables to replace the old dead. I had the starter rebuilt. It will crank all day long but no start. Does the 6.2 have an oil sender like the 6.5 that when it sees oil pressure it will turn on the transfer pump? It has a new transfer pump also. Any ideas would be helpful

Subzilla
09-08-2010, 10:57
No oil sender unit control on the fuel system on the 6.2.

If it was running when it came to your house, I would not suspect the fuel system but rather the glow plug system. First thing to check is the glow plugs to make sure they are lighting up. Check for power to the plugs when the ignition key is turned on by a voltmeter on the connector. Then you can check to make sure they have continuity, touch a test light to the spade of the GP with the other end of the light hooked to the positive battery - this will indicate the GP's themselves are good.

Then try the easy stuff first with the fuel system. Change out the fuel filter but these usually give warning signs they are beginning to plug up and not all of the sudden. Yours should have a mechanical fuel pump, if I'm not mistaken. But if it has an electrical one, you may have hit something to disconnect during your battery/cable swap. But again, even without the fuel pump, mine will both start but they will run quite rough.

Let us know what you find.

mschulze
09-08-2010, 12:56
Thanks for the help, will try tonight.

JohnC
09-08-2010, 13:50
No oil sender unit control on the fuel system on the 6.2.

If it has an electric lift pump then it does have an oil pressure sensor to power the pump. however, this is not the problem as the starter powers the lift pump when it is engaged, so the oil pressure sensor will not affect starting.

+1 on the glow plugs!

mschulze
09-13-2010, 05:50
Glow plugs bad, installed 8 new and started on first try, thanks for the help.

Subzilla
09-13-2010, 05:57
Good deal!

Let us know if you have anymore issues!