PDA

View Full Version : Runs like it has bad points in a gas motor

Boatdlrrepair
09-15-2010, 17:21
I bought this 2001 2500 HD from a buddy of mine. He bought it new and had the injectors changed under warranty. It has always ran like a bear! More than enough power. It has 317889 miles on it. Just like everything else I seem to buy it breaks a week later. I went on a 2500 mi vacation with it last week, ran fine till almost home. Then it started this bucking and stumbling and stalling problem. I changed the fuel filter with a Purolator filter. I found a lot of dirt and very small clumps of dirt in the old fuel filter. I put more diesel and Howes fuel conditioner in. It seemed to run a little better for about 60 miles now it's worse than ever! It's definetly I believe a fuel problem. Anyone help me?

DmaxMaverick
09-15-2010, 21:22
Welcome aboard!

Definitely sounds like you got a tank of bad fuel. This can happen at any time, depending on where you get fuel. While traveling, you are at the mercy of the suppliers. Right now, your only option is to flush the tank and fuel lines. DO NOT run it until this is fixed. Filters do a fine job of catching this stuff, but they fail on occasion, and a failure of the filter will cause thousands of dollars damage to your fuel system. It isn't worth taking the chance. When you change the filter, it may take some miles for the crud to catch up and plug the new filter. 60 miles is only a few gallons, which indicates the fuel contamination is quite extensive. Anything other than fuel in your fuel is never a good thing (other than approved additives).

If you can identify the supplier who sold the bad fuel, they have (or should have) policy for dealing with such things. If they don't have insurance, that's their fault. Either way, they are responsible for all your expenses in regards to bad fuel. Chances are, you aren't the only customer with this problem.

Another possibility is vandalism. It happens. Locking caps help prevent it.