PDA

View Full Version : where's oil pressure sending unit?

GregCrabb
09-22-2010, 00:23
I can't find any pics in my repair manuals anywhere. Where is the oil pressure sending unit located? Is it visible from the top or bottom? I have the factory pressure gauge, not the light. It's my '86. I'm not convinced the rear main seal is guilty of all that oil running out the back/bottom of my engine. I see oil from the top/back too. Just want to find it and check it too. Pressure washed the engine tonight to help find it. Can't expect to sell it if it is still leaking. I got under it last week and pulled the cover off the flywheel...a little oil in there but not as much as I would expect if it is all rear main. Just doesn't make sense to me. Leaked a little the past 8 years, then this year it's pouring out...suddenly. Cooler lines are ok, hoses are new, cooler is new and very visibly dry.
Thanks
Truck runs better than it ever has.

trbankii
09-22-2010, 05:47
I'll assume it is in the same place as on the 6.5 - back end of the driver's side valve cover on the top. Look to that side of the fuel filter and follow the wires.

john8662
09-22-2010, 08:58
Yep, Underneath the glow plug controller, remove it and you'll have better access to it.

GregCrabb
09-22-2010, 23:55
Thanks, I know where the Glow plug controller is, replaced that once. I'm just looking all around to see if I can pinpoint that darn leak, or at least the worst one anyway. I know there is oil coming down from the top in that vicinity, and the vacuum pump is dry, no leaking there.

Subzilla
09-23-2010, 08:05
Probably is! Got the same leak and thought replacing the unit itself would fix it. But no, it seems to be coming form the connector the OP unit is screwed into. This connector is screwed into the block which I think is where my leak is coming from. A pain in the butt to get to with the firewall just inches away!