PDA

View Full Version : Code for Wastegate Selonoid Fault

jerry598
09-27-2010, 09:36
I recently started getting a code for a wastegate selonoid fault. When the SES light would come on while driving, just the slightest throttle would result in serious black exhaust smoke. I installed a Heath turbomaster which cured the black smoke and driveability seems fine, but the code comes back intermittently.

If I disconnect the electrical plug from the selenoid, will that eliminate the returning code?

The vacuum line itself is plugged but otherwise the pump and vacuum lines are still hooked up.

Just returned from a 300 mile round trip with full load - slide in camper plus loaded 3 horse trailer. Truck ran like a charm over mountains and rough roads. Now about 3500 miles on the rebuild.

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2010, 10:01
Unless you install an aftermarket [program or chip, depending on OBD series] that ignores WG solenoid monitoring, the PCM will still look for and monitor the solenoid. Using the Turbomaster only takes the WG operation away from vacuum, but the solenoid (or suitable electrical facsimile) still needs to be present at the harness. If the solenoid has failed, the PCM will fault until it's replaced. As long as your Turbomaster is adjusted to operate within the PCM's acceptable boost range, the PCM doesn't care what actually operates the WG.

JohnC
09-29-2010, 09:31
Turn the boost down until it just stops setting the code.

When it codes you loose power, so don't ignore it.