PDA

View Full Version : September Updates

More Power
09-27-2010, 11:09
Everywhere But Here!
GM Diesels Worldwide
A diverse range of GM diesel powered light-trucks and autos can be found in significant numbers all over the world - except here in the United States. Many theories have been discussed through the years concerning why there is a dearth of domestic diesels, but I'll attempt to explain why this situation exists and (to tease the membership) show you some of the GM diesel powered vehicles you've been missing out on.

A Look At 6.2L, 6.5L & Duramax Piston Clearance
Here at The Diesel Page we've not gone into much detail about engine rebuilding because the required knowledge and access to specialized equipment are beyond most of us. We've recommended you locate a local engine rebuilding center near where you live, and use them to do your diesel engine rebuilding for you. Being local allows better communication between yourself and them, and they may be more conscientious in trying to satisfy a local customer. However, it appears more individuals nowadays are getting into the rebuild process - some to save money and some to get a better result. Saving money and getting a better engine are good things.

Now available to subscribers in the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm#features).

arveetek
09-29-2010, 11:27
Good articles!

I have always wished for a better selection of smaller diesel-powered vehicles here in the US. I had always just assumed the reason we didn't have them was due to our EPA. Doesn't look like it's that simple....

Regarding the pistons, when I rebuilt my 6.2L back in '05, I dropped the block off at the machine shop, and instructed them to find out how much it would require to clean up the cylinders. They suggested I bore it .030" over stock. So, I ordered some custom ceramic-coated 6.2L pistons .030" larger than stock. Well, the machine shop went ahead and bored the block .030" over the specs listed in the book. When I went to assemble the engine, the pistons were VERY loose.

I had to reorder some .040" pistons, and this time the shop had specific instructions to bore each cylinder to each piston, and had them bore the rear two cylinders a little larger. This time the engine assembled perfectly.

I also had trouble with connecting rod length, but having several engines laying around, I was able to find 8 rods with matching lengths!

Casey