PDA

View Full Version : Head gaskets;need some info HELP

heath
01-05-2005, 13:04
I have a 96 6.5 tbd with 196000 i am in the process of replacing what i hope is just the head gaskets not a cracked head. :(

Will i have to have any thing done to the fuel system during this process especialy to do with the injector pump or injectors such as the fuel timing between the two. Also how do you drain the fuel system. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help :D
Heath

Peter J. Bierman
01-05-2005, 13:19
Just put caps on the pump and injector connections to prevent dirt from getting in.
When done, bleed the lines.

Good luck

Peter

MikeC
01-05-2005, 15:08
Heath,

Make sure you check your heads well. My Burban was apart in October with 107K on the odometer. The heads that were installed were remanned with sleeved waterways. The mechanic did not send the old ones back for cores due to 5 of the 8 cylinders having cracks extending across the cylinder area from the exhaust valve.

My thought would be, while you are there put reman's in and prevent having to go back there anytime soon.

Mike

tom.mcinerney
01-05-2005, 18:45
The FIP can stay put while swapping heads; timing will not change if leave pump alone. Leave the FIP full of fuel. Fuel will drain as loosen each injector coupling/union nut. Observe good order in which fuel lines will be installed. Cleanliness is adjacent godliness regarding all fuel system components.
Fuel will drain if/as remove fuel filter housing (conditioner assy).
Head stretch bolts need renew. Head and some intake man bolts need sealer.
See TDP '6.5L R & R Guide', by Jim Bigley [aka More Power].

a5150nut
01-05-2005, 21:23
If you can come accross a short piece of 9 pair or more phone cable, it works well to use to label your lines. Just match color code. You can use electrical wire labels, but fuel or oil will loosen them and they will come off. With the phone wire you just twist matching colors on the end of the line and the pump end. :D

ees
01-06-2005, 03:32
I would be very surprised if you don't have cracked heads. Not to worry however. There is a page on this site detailing the sleaving of the key water jacket for each cylinder. My engine had 10 cracks in one head and 5 in the other and the machine shop was not concerned.

You will likely need to get your injectors rebuilt if you have driven it at all with the bad gaskets. The moisture this adds to the mix after shut down can do them in. 7 of my 8 needed it so I did all 8.

Labeling the lines will help, but they only go back in one way so you can't screw it up. You will find an order that works best for you. Remember to get both ends of a give line snugged by hand before you start tightening with a wrench.

I just went through this last summer. It is a lot of work, but still a doable job. Either get help or a hoist when it comes to pulling and replacing the heads. I didn't wiegh them, but I would guess they are pushing 100 lbs a piece especially if you leave the manifolds on which I recommend (but only if you have an impact gun or big vice, otherwise break them loose first on the engine).

Good luck.