PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry giving me problems.

socaltoolguy
09-29-2010, 06:06
Hello all. It's been a long time since I have had to ask for help here. Just haven't had any problems with my truck. But yesterday my keyless entry started acting up. It has always been very good and worked from a long distance. But all of a sudden now it is very slow in responding if it responds at all. I changed the battery and did a resync. It will work if I'm very close to the truck but not every time. I have to hold the button down for two to three seconds before it responds. Anybody have this problem? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Ray

2tough2park
10-09-2010, 07:58
On my 06 I had a similar problem in that it would unlock, but not lock from the remote. The lock function would sometimes work until it stopped working period. I did the change battery, close range, etc, but nothing. Took the truck to the dealer(still under warranty at the time) and they replaced the remote. It just went bad on it's own accord. Out of warranty I think it's like $110 or so just for the remote plus more for the reprogramming(remove old remote code, add new remote code). I'd take it in and let the dealer techs troubleshoot it.

Spoolmak
10-27-2010, 08:37
When the fobs stop working reliably - assuming the battery is good - it is invariably the conductive material worn off on the rubber contact point of the 'button' you push down.
When you take the key fob apart, look at the bottom of the rubber plate. Underneath each button, the conductive material simply completes a circuit, like an electric switch. That conductive material simply wears off with use. Once gone, it is not going to complete the circuit.

You can try gently swabbing it with Methyl Hydrate on a Q-tip to clean it. That sometimes works.

If you have to replace it, you don't need to go to the dealer. There are a number of web based businesses that will replace your fob with a GM Factory original for between 35 to 40 dollars. You will need to tell them which number of fob you want to replace - they are numbered 1 or 2 or 3. Get a replacement for the number of fob that's not working. They include the instruction of how to program the fobs. Step by step -dead easy.

Ask me how I know this......

MR Remotes.inc solved my problem in less than 48 hours. www.mrremotesinc.com

Good luck.

Tor