PDA

View Full Version : ZF-6 Question

gophergunner
09-30-2010, 07:50
I've been trying to find a 2wd ZF-6 from a Duramax truck.

They aren't common as 4wd transmissions, nevermind 2wd. But a friend of mine told me that the 4wd and 2wd models are the same aside from the 2wd having a tailhousing bolted onto the back of it. Is this true? a 4wd ZF-6 can easily be turned into the 2wd version by simply adding the tailhousing and output shaft?

Also, is there any magical chance that the tailhousing is the same between a 2wd Allison and the 2wd ZF-6? Seeing as how the two transmissions bolt to the same t-cases I figure the 2wd tailhousing might be interchangeable.

For the record, the ZF-6 is going into a 1986 GMC 1 ton, 2wd required because I can then use a divorced NP205 to maintain my 4x4.

Thanks in advance!

More Power
10-04-2010, 11:22
I've been trying to find a 2wd ZF-6 from a Duramax truck.

They aren't common as 4wd transmissions, nevermind 2wd. But a friend of mine told me that the 4wd and 2wd models are the same aside from the 2wd having a tailhousing bolted onto the back of it. Is this true? a 4wd ZF-6 can easily be turned into the 2wd version by simply adding the tailhousing and output shaft?

Also, is there any magical chance that the tailhousing is the same between a 2wd Allison and the 2wd ZF-6? Seeing as how the two transmissions bolt to the same t-cases I figure the 2wd tailhousing might be interchangeable.

For the record, the ZF-6 is going into a 1986 GMC 1 ton, 2wd required because I can then use a divorced NP205 to maintain my 4x4.

Thanks in advance!

If you used a ZF, you'd also have to use the matching clutch plate because of the input shaft spline differences. Don't know about pilot bearings. The following web site may offer more info about the S6-650 Six-Speed manual transmission.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/north_america/corporate_na/homepage_na/homepage_na.html

gophergunner
10-04-2010, 15:33
Thanks for the link, I'm going to snoop around it after work.

I did manage to find a 2wd ZF-6 from a 2002 Chev with an 8100 vortec.