PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD Crop duster

ees
01-06-2005, 03:37
So it looks like my vacuum pump is not pullings its weight. Anything past about 1/3 throttle and the truck goes into crop duster mode. Great for getting rid of tail gaters, not so great for making power (or paying for insanely expensive fuel).

I have hooked up my vacuum pump/guage to the line where it enters the waste gate solenoid. On start up and shut down it manages to pump down to about 25 in Hg, but if I release that vacuum it will only manage about 5 in Hg while idling.

I have not yet checked the lines, but since it will pull to 25 like I said above I think it must be related to the pump. A discount store reman is $135. I am so tired of pumping money into this thing. Does anyone have any cheap BTDT solutions for the vacuum pump? Maybe making a diaphram or maybe just a gummed up check valve? Maybe? Hopefully?

Thanks for the help.

Mainous
01-06-2005, 06:02
Junk the pump and buy a turbo master from Bill Heath. This eliminates the entire vacuum system from the truck and adds performance by allowing you to add more boost as you see fit. Cheaper than buying a pump too.

Billman
01-06-2005, 08:42
Hey Eric

Looks like you've had a bad experience with the purchase of your truck from Ebay(According to your pictures & descriptions).

I've got a perfectly good pump laying around that had 60k on it. I thought it was making noise. Turns out it wasn't the vacuum pump.

It needs a pulley. It's yours for shipping.

Just another option. Let me know...

javadog
01-06-2005, 09:00
Mainous-
Where and how did you get your AMG block? I need one of those. According to Kennedy and other posts
I did not think they sold them to the public.
Also who did your engine work? I'd love to work up to a set up like yours.

ees
01-06-2005, 17:43
Well I spent a little time on it tonight. I figured if it was something simple like a broken hose I would at least check. Looks like I will be calling Bill in the morning for the spring loaded WG control option.

Thanks to all that responded!

Right now I have the WG dashpot hooked up to a long vacuum hose and running into the drivers side door. I have my hand vacuum pump sitting in the map pocket. Dial-a-boost I guess. At least it now feels better. Earlier today I had to go about an hour south. It is about 1500 ft higher their and the truck was hurting without the turbo.

Here is a new question:

At stock boost should I ever hear the turbo (I have not)? I can in my Audi, but I didn't know if I should in this truck.

Thanks again

ees
01-06-2005, 17:50
Oh yeah I forgot in my last post. Billman the story of the eBay purchase is far worse than what I have on the site. We are still hoping to resolve it with the seller without legal action, but it does not look promising. If he won't play ball I will put the whole story up there. It is rather unbelievable. Strangely the truck lived most of its life near you on Long Island. They guy we bought from bought it from that owner as a parts truck, turned around and sold it for several thousand more as a truck in "great" condition. Luckily the guy in NY is willing to help us out in nailing this scumbag.

Mainous
01-06-2005, 18:56
Steve,

Believe it or not, I got my block off of Ebay. It originated as a replacement GM engine that was installed at a dealership. For some reason it lost oil pressure and was removed and replaced again under warranty. The dealership sold the engine for scrap. These "scrap buyers" can sell the parts but not the whole assembly. When I received it, it was basically brand new. The original block in my truck cracked in the traditional location (#4 main web). I gathered all of the components and had a local machine shop do the machine work and assemble the new short block using the rotating assembly from my original engine. At the time I bought my block on Ebay, there were new AMG blocks selling from a seller in Texas. I bought one from him also but ended up using the scrap block because it was basically ready for assembly other than a light hone on the cylinders. I sold the second block to another Diselpage member in Wisconsin. I always watch Ebay but haven't seen another AMG block since.

arrowheadracing
01-07-2005, 05:05
Just to chime in on the ebay sales of stolen gm parts. Regardless of how the part was removed from gm ( or a dealer ) by means of scrap , they are considered stolen parts basically. I can tell you this from first hand experience. As I was caught in the middle of a garabage picking dilema.

Just a little thought of experience I thought I would pass along. As Gm or any big three have people employeed just to watch ebay and check for parts.

Just becareful guys, this dilema cost me a big contract, and I no longer do business with that company.

If your interested in the whole story for some reason, I ll tell you. But just be warned, if its supposed to be in the garabage and you take it out of the garbage, you just stole, or bought stolen parts. Sounds stupid, but thats the legal end of it. First hand.

Todd