PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze Odor

Freightliner3
10-01-2010, 13:23
Found what appeared to be dried anifreeze on the water pump fitting for the tube that heads to rear of the engine.
Is there more to it then I'm seeing?

JohnC
10-01-2010, 13:44
When the engine is cold, how hard is it to squeeze the radiator hose?

DmaxMaverick
10-01-2010, 13:46
Which tube? The heater core supply/return? Or the small (3/8") tube/hose behind the fan pulley (turbo coolant return)? It doesn't take much of a leak to cause an odor, depending on where it is. Have you noticed a loss of coolant at the tank? If so, how much over what period of time/miles?

Freightliner3
10-01-2010, 17:34
The Antifreeze was changed in April 2010. After about 3000 miles with heavy towing the low coolant light came on. I added 2 cups of antifreze and no problems since. Pulled 21500 lbs 450 miles last week with no issues.
When the engine is cold there is no pressure on the upper radiator hose.The truck was in the shop today for regular maintanace.I told them about the antifreeze odor.So I reported what they told me. I will talk with them on Monday to find out which tube is the issue.
Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
10-01-2010, 18:21
The low coolant indicator may be normal. After changing the coolant, there is a very specific procedure to bleed out the air. If you don't, it will bleed itself later, if it's ran hard and near red-line (like towing/hauling a load). This could be what happened. The leak may not be any more than slight seepage, which needs attention, but isn't usually urgent.

Freightliner3
10-05-2010, 15:00
Went to the repair shop today.Had a set of Air Lifts installed.The apparent leaking tube is the large one.I also did some hauling today, all seemed well.But I don't trust leaks. My question is what to do about it. Is it likely the pump or the tube fitting? There is 57000 miles on the truck and most of the miles were used pulling the gooseneck trailer.
Thanks!

Freightliner3
10-13-2010, 12:31
Found that the antifreeze leak is comming from the weep hole on the pump. We put dye in the antifreeze and found the leak with a black light.It is being replaced today.It was nice to finally see the engine with all the stuff removed to replace the pump. I'ts not quite as sharp as DD 8V/71 but it sure
works good in a pickup.

Kennedy
10-16-2010, 07:36
Keep us posted on cooling system pressure with the pump replaced. Been seeing more and more water pump, thermostats-problem solved. Then: "oh hey it's actually a head gasket issue."