PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold heater

6.5guy
10-04-2010, 18:21
Anybody ever try installing one on their 6.5? Whoever tried to do glow plugs on my truck before i bought it twisted a couple of them off flush with the head. Rather than try to drill those out and risk twisting the others off, i was thinking of installing an intake manifold heater. Any thoughts?

Yesterday
10-04-2010, 19:10
I think Cummins uses a manifold heater in the Dodge trucks, can't see why it wouldn't work.

Duane

DmaxMaverick
10-05-2010, 01:00
Most model years of the Duramax also has one. They are there to keep the EPA happy, more than anything else. They help with really cold climate starts (sub-zero), but will not replace glow plugs. There just isn't enough heat in the air to increase combustion chamber heat for a cold start with the heater alone.

NH2112
10-05-2010, 04:45
I think if I was going to install anything to replace glow plugs, it'd be a flame heater. You may be able to find one on an old forklift, dozer, tractor, etc.

Robyn
10-05-2010, 07:38
I agree with Maverick, the intake heater will not do a whole lot and probably would be a waste of time and $$$$ to mess with.

The glow plugs on these things have got to work for any sort of a reliable startup.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to replace the glow plugs. If more of them snap off then the heads are going to need to come off to really have a chance at getting them out.

I personally have never encountered a stuck plug. Out here on the west coast there is not near the problems with corrosion that one sees on the east side of the Divide.

The salt spray is tough on everything.

Keep us posted

Robyn

racer55
10-05-2010, 08:38
I can't say for sure but I doubt a flame heater alone would be of great help with an IDI injection engine,also it would be a pain to add a fuel solenoid and pump to pressurize the fuel for the nozzle and the associated switching involved.
Any tractors that came with flame heaters had that accessory engineered into the IP and harness that I have seen.

NH2112
10-05-2010, 10:24
I've seen a few on either Sellick or Wiggins forklifts where they ignited when you turned the key to the ACC position. I guess it would depend mostly on how much heat was lost while cranking.