PDA

View Full Version : can I put 6.5 heads on a 6.2 block

msomers
10-04-2010, 19:39
I'm trying to fix my 1998 chevy 6.5 turbo. I put new heads on but still dont run right. i have a 6.2 block will the two work together and if they will what do I need to do

Yukon6.2
10-05-2010, 07:44
Hi
Yes you can,what is the motor doing?Why do you feel changing the block will help? There is a member on here,Robyn that is replacing her 6.5 with a 6.2 because her block is bad.There are a few things you will have to change or adapt.Ley use know whats wrong mabey someone can help trobleshoot your problem
Good Luck
Thomas

msomers
11-24-2010, 21:11
I had cracked a head so I put new ones on the the lower end went I had a 6.2 extra motor so I put the 6.2 block on and ran new oil lines and had to have the oil cooler lines re made to fit. I have it all together now but it still wont stay running I have the 6.2 camshaft in it with the 6.5 injection pump and heads It will start only if you step on the gas pedal will idle but ruff I tried to time the injectors but made no difference any suggestions

Yukon6.2
11-27-2010, 10:31
Hi
The camshafts are identical between the two motors.
Did you change the timing cover?The newer 6.5 have a crankshaft position sensor,You also have to install the reluctor?? wheel on the crankshaft so it can read the position.
Are you getting any codes when it's running?
Double check all your grounds and plugs that you removed when the motor was swaped.
Good Luck
Thomas

Robyn
11-27-2010, 13:45
Ok

Here are the things that must be done.

6.2 Block with 6.5 heads, use 6.5 gaskets.

Use timing gears and chain set from the 6.5 along with the timing cover from the 6.5.

Use the ballancer from the 6.5

Use the injection pump, lines and other accessories from the 6.5.

Plumb the turbo oil line from either the port on the side of the block above the cooler lines or install a T at the Oil pressure switch

The pushrods, rockers and all the other goodies are the same and will swap.

Your electronic IP will work fine.
Use the crank position sensor from the 6.5

Align the IP with the mark on the cover from the original engine.

This is an easy swap and should work fine.

Keep us posted

Robyn