PDA

View Full Version : New Engine

AllThumbs
10-07-2010, 19:17
Anybody know anything about this outfit? I have not contacted them to see what actually comes with the engine, but if they do start it and hot test before shipping, that sure sounds good. What do you think?

http://www.automotix.net/engines/65dieselengine.html?campaign=GoogU

Sorry I forgot the link the first time around. The picture in this add looks like it came from AM General's web site.

Robyn
10-08-2010, 06:20
I have never heard of these guys.

For the $$$$$ they are asking you can build one HELLUVA engine for your rig.

With all the bogus garbage out there in the way of 6.5 stuff I would be careful.

You can get a genuine AMG/GEP engine (The real deal from the makers of the HUMMER) for not all that much different price

Here is a breakdown on parts that can be had to build one at home.

Depending on what you have to salvage from your existing engine.

A new block from one of a couple internet suppliers $1500
Heads that are ready to bolt on $ 600
New scat steel crank $ 400

If your rods and such are good along with all the accessories such as the intake manifold and other goodies, you can have a great engine for faqr less the the $6000 price tag of an unknown.

We have several great vendors with proven track records that advertise here at TDP that you should look at before choosing an unknown internet seller.`

Best

Robyn

AllThumbs
10-08-2010, 08:07
You give such great advice. I was suspicious from the outset. Kind of threw me that the pic they are using is identical to AM General's website. I'm no rebuilder, so I will probably go the long block way when the time comes.

jerry598
10-10-2010, 09:25
Another option if you don't want to do it yourself: Buy all the right parts you need for the job yourself, then find a reputable mechanic or rebuild shop in your area to assemble it for you. But first, read all of Robyn's posts, especially the assembly/reassembly tips that are posted here, and provide them to your mechanic with strict orders to read and follow them exactly as written. Don't trust anybody to wing it themselves, there are too many important little details a rebuilder needs to know that are not found in the manuals out there.

AllThumbs
10-14-2010, 13:54
I can't say enough about The Diesel Page. I have learned more in a month than I found out in three years. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to search Robyn's stuff and read every line.:D

CedarGrove
10-14-2010, 19:39
I bought a Reviva reman from Kennedy a couple of years ago. It has 50k on it now without any issues. I did a fair amount of research before I bought and felt like Kennedy was the only place I could be assured of getting a real deal new AMG block. I've been totally satisfied. Please check Kennedy before making a move. His price is lower than the one you were looking at and I'm quite sure it's the real deal.

AllThumbs
10-15-2010, 04:56
Everything I have seen indicates you need to go to TDP supporters first if you want things straight.

I'll certainly give Kennedy a shot.

Robyn
10-15-2010, 06:04
The folks that support TDP have a great track record of taking care of customers.

John is a good guy and will take care of you.

Missy

rameye
10-15-2010, 06:10
Thumbs..

I got a brand new GEP/AM general engine for about the same price as a quality rebuild (new heads, balanced rotating assembly, align honed/bored, pistons, etc).

Consider that as an option as well..

AllThumbs
10-15-2010, 06:24
rameye,

Where did you get your engine? Thanks for the info.

rameye
10-15-2010, 11:36
WW Williams...$5200..this spring.

They are the only re-seller for the genuine GEP/AMG engine...you can also get the more powerful P400 for a little more.

I may still have the sales contact...PM me if you're interested..

(no I'm not an employee or salesman for GEP, I just think its a very viable option compared to a quality rebuild)

AllThumbs
10-16-2010, 03:42
I will probably PM you when I get home. I'm at my daughter's right now on vacation about 1,200 miles from home so not much I can do. Thanks for the tip, it sure interests me. I'll catch up with you in about a week.;)