PDA

View Full Version : PRND321 display brightness dying...

SDWA
10-09-2010, 15:17
I'm just a few miles from hitting 200,000 :) But I've noticed lately that the PRND321 display brightness is dying off quickly - It's got dark lines through it from the exciter wires, and is pretty dim, even at full brightness.

Has anyone delved into these clusters enough for a possible solution? Is there a failing transformer that can be replaced? Can I burn off the oxidation on the exciter wires and get another 200,000 out of it? Or is it going to continue dying a slow death, and soon will be completely gone... with a replacement cluster or sent off for repair being the only fix...

Thanks!

MikeyB
10-11-2010, 07:20
I'm just a few miles from hitting 200,000 :) But I've noticed lately that the PRND321 display brightness is dying off quickly - It's got dark lines through it from the exciter wires, and is pretty dim, even at full brightness.

Has anyone delved into these clusters enough for a possible solution? Is there a failing transformer that can be replaced? Can I burn off the oxidation on the exciter wires and get another 200,000 out of it? Or is it going to continue dying a slow death, and soon will be completely gone... with a replacement cluster or sent off for repair being the only fix...

Thanks!

My gear selector and odometer is dead on my '01 Duramax. Speedo shops want $400 to fix it. I did find this guy: http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/ who will supposedly fix
it for $100. I just haven't had time to pull the cluster and send it to him. Hopefully, the
truck can be driven without the cluster if need be.

Mike