PDA

View Full Version : "Water in Fuel"

81DIESEL84
10-12-2010, 16:32
As i was backing up my 84 c10 diesel 6.2 the water in fuel light started to flicker. I turned off the truck and turned it back on it went away. Is there a problem or is this normal what is there a problem?

DmaxMaverick
10-12-2010, 23:18
Either you have an electrical problem, or your filter is plugged. Replace the filter. If that doesn't fix it, get out your VOM and diagram.

Robyn
10-13-2010, 06:56
Place a small contaner (coffee can) under the water drain on the filter, open the air vent and the drain and see what comes out.

Good bet that you have a small amount of water in the filter unit that set the light off.

After this, remove the filter and install a fresh one.

To bleed these out, simply do the change, then unplug the large Pink wire on the Injector pump, crank the engine (with the filter air bleed open) until air free fuel comes out. (A small hose placed on the bleeder nipple and into a can will stop the mess)

Hook the wire back to the IP and start up as normal.

If you get another water in fuel light in short order, the issue could be the fuel manager electronics or a largwer amount of water in the fuel tank.

The water sensors are fairly sensative and it takes only enough water to touch the sensor to set it off.

My rigs have had the fuel filters replaced with Racor units that have a "water bowl" on the bottom that allows a visual on whats in there.

Good luck

Missy

HammerWerf
10-29-2010, 18:29
It sounds like you still have the original fuel filter assembly installed in your rig. There are 3 functions that the electronics handles. All visual indication is the water in fuel light illuminated

1) water in fuel .

2) filter plugged up.

3) I'll have to report back on this one.

I got caught on a long road trip on number 2. Light came on, checked for water, no water, but acceleration was the pits in my 1984 Suburban. Had to do a filter change on the road.

HammerWerf