PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE! engine swap or new truck?

Kmehr
10-12-2010, 19:55
SO I have finally come to a cross roads on whether or not to get a new truck or to swap a cummins in for the 6.5. After 3.5 years of frustrated ownership I have had it with the 6.5. Over the past year I have been plauged with the intermittent stalling and starting issues that I no longer am confident enough in her to do more than drive her around town, and I travel some for my job so I have to borrow one of my parents cars all the time. Its gotten so bad I have almost all of my tools in my truck, just in case. I have replaced the whole fuel system over the time iv'e owned it. AS a new college grad working around the clock I can't afford to always be tinkering and left stranded. She has been to the mechanic for almost two weeks and they cant get to the bottom of the stall/start issues.

I am a big time believer in WVO and have a lot invested in equipment, time and oil source connections, so that is a must.

So here are my two choices:

1. 12v dodge, reliable reliable reliable, inline pumps are fantastic for WVO, and my kenwood stereo would fit in it as would my canvas truck top and tool box for bed mounted WVO tank. probably looking at $12,000 for one in good shape. Have to remember that though I love my truck now and would hate to get rid of her, its just a car.

2. Keep my truck and pay $10,000 to have my dream engine, a 4bt swapped in. Same reliability as the 12v but great mpg and same weight as a 6.5. This way I get to keep my truck and all the work i've done to it.

What do yall think?

More Power
10-13-2010, 09:52
Another option.... For those 6.5 owners who experience frequent and unresolved electronic fuel injection problems, a conversion to mechanical fuel injection is a realistic option.

The conversion can cost anywhere from $1000 to $2500, depending on whether you buy all retail parts, or if you're a little creative in acquiring used parts. A conversion will require an aftermarket transmission control module and harness kit if this vehicle is equipped with the 4L80-E. Powertraincontrolsolutions.com offers a 4L80-E module & harness kit for about $900. They work well.

GM produced vehicles that were equipped with both a mechanically injected 6.5 and had the 4L80-E. Acquiring the TCM and harness from one of these vehicles is possible, but they are rare. AM General produced tens of thousands of 6.5TD powered HMMWVs that were equiiped with both mechanical fuel injection and the 4L80-E. If these TCM and related parts become available, this would be an option.

Jim

Kmehr
10-14-2010, 03:50
That is an idea I have somewhat considered. That kind of project would be over my head though and I am really not sure where I would go to get it done.

NH2112
10-14-2010, 05:34
Whoever you'd be paying to swap in the 4BT should be able to do it much more easily and for a lot less, as you'd need the stand-alone TCM for that swap too.

trbankii
10-14-2010, 09:50
I agree with NH2112. The difference between the two projects is sort of like the difference between changing a lightbulb and replacing everything from the main panel to the light fixture. The mechanical injection is a matter of plugging in parts that were designed to go there. My '93 came from the factory that way.