PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hard Starting

D. Witcraft
08-28-2004, 10:56
My 95 K2500, 6.5 "F" is developing a hard starting problem. Started on long drive back from July 4th, hot drive. Motor is hard to start when motor AND ambient temp hot. Have to crank for 3 or 4 5-8 second sessions with pedal pressed to floor, then truck finally starts with a small cloud of black smoke. If I stop the hot truck, then leave it to cool for 3+ hours, starts fine with no long crank or need to floor pedal. When it started this problem I could aleviate it by opening the hood while it stopped, but this is not as effective now. Now I had it parked for a week for exhaust work and it took a long time cranking, even cold. I've torched my starter and have no idea how to address this. I live in CA, where temps have been above 90 degrees since this problem started.

The truck has:
-newer injection pump(changed last year, by previous owner)
-new oil pump switch
-new lift pump(this failed on the trip, low power after failure, good power since replacement)
-new fuel filter(changed before said trip)

Most shops around here don't know diesel, so I'd rather try anyones ideas, than pay a shop to learn about diesels. :confused:

Barry Nave
08-29-2004, 04:36
Do a SEARCH on FSD

1bad383
08-29-2004, 16:06
I was having similar problems with hard starting and symptoms like yours. Turned out to be a bad load of gas. Just enough water in the fuel filter to give me a pain in the you know. I drained out the brown stuff that was diesel, a couple of times now and she runs like a champ. Not saying thats your problem, but it can't hurt to drain the filter. Good luck.

kowsoc
08-29-2004, 16:43
I'm also thinking it's the FSD. It may get to the point where it will stall, as if the ignition was switched off. Like Bnave95 suggested, a little reading about FSD troubles should answer your questions.....if I had a dime for every FSD that's failed....oh well. I carry a used spare in the glove box. Good luck! smile.gif

charliepeterson
08-30-2004, 05:39
Try an extra dose of fuel conditioner. If it's hot outside it's a good idea to have some fuel in the tank to help get rid of the heat. The tank is a heat sink and the fuel keeps the injection pump cool. Tap water poured on the PMD or injection pump when hot individually can help in diagnosing as well.

D. Witcraft
08-31-2004, 22:39
I've gone through the FSD stuff a lot, and I'm really not getting any other symptoms of that(other than discussed). I know they go out, even newer ones like mine, but I can't see starting with that. I tried pouring water on the FSD during one of the warm stops(hood open), and it had no appreciable effect.

Is there any electrical test that can be performed on the FSD?

Thanks for all the input,

Partsnut

D. Witcraft
08-31-2004, 22:41
Oops, almost forgot, is there a water trap on the bottom of the filter/housing to empty? my 6.9 Ford has one.

Partsnut

ucdavis
09-03-2004, 15:58
re: water- Yes, the brass petcock is next to the vert. radiator hose fitting on front of engine.

re: can't see starting w/that- Due to hard start relation to heat, that's the most likely culprit (not foolproof but that is why folks log onto these forums). You may be able to rehabilitate the FSD if that is what causes the hesitating start. Torquing the kep nuts on back of FSD might do the trick; For FSD Info galore, see:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005199#000000
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005013#000000