PDA

View Full Version : Former hater of Diesel needs advice.

armyguy
10-20-2010, 00:23
Hello everybody I am brand new to this forum. I used to hate diesel vehicles for no apparent reason but 12yrs in the Army and 8 stationed in Germany brought me around. I have a 93 3/4 Suburban with a 454 and it is 4x4 and as my son calls it a beast. It also gets about 8mpg:( so this means even though I want to drive it everyday I can't afford it:mad:. My question is can a conversion be done that might get at least 20 mpg. I believe a 6.2 or 6.5 will bolt directly to my trans. Does anybody know if this is true or have any knowledge of a better conversion. Thank you.

DmaxMaverick
10-20-2010, 00:46
Welcome aboard!

Stuffing a 6.2/6.5 into your 1993 would be a relatively simple conversion (compared to others). The engine will bolt up to the tranny, no problem. Major obstacles will depend on what all you source with the engine. The accessory drive systems are different, and braking will have to be managed (vacuum booster to hydroboost). You will have to modify the fuel system to accommodate the Diesel. You may also want to look at your gear ratio. If all you can get is 8 MPG, you probably have 4.10 gears. This is also a limiting factor with Diesel economy, but not nearly as bad. None of this is complicated, but will require some mechanically experienced hands on the job. The list will be long, but easily manageable in competent hands.

You can easily double the mileage, and 20 MPG is certainly attainable with proper gearing. Driving habits will be the determining factor, more than anything else.

armyguy
10-20-2010, 01:03
I have quite a bit of experience with both motors but everything I know about them is from military hummers. They use a 24 volt system but I am sure I could convert my my Suburban. The 454 will get rebuilt and put in my Regal. Is there any websites or more information you can give me on the drive accessories? I know of a guy with an 82 Chevy motorhome with a 6.2 in with a shot trans that I could probaly pick up cheap. This might give me what I need. Not sure if it is a viable solution though.