PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Howie E & John C

Fredeberle
08-28-2004, 12:24
Took your advice and dove into that OPS relay. :D
Not the easiest place to work. :( Couldn't they hide it any better? :eek:
Biggest worry was getting that connector back on without bending or breaking the connectors. :rolleyes:
Ran the truck for 15 minutes when finished, so can I assume everything is OK ?
Not bad for a 73+ year old putz !
Thanks again, this site is great because of people like you ! :cool:
Fred

HowieE
08-28-2004, 13:33
Glad everything worked out. I am going to add your comment to any future request for help on the OPS that a 73+ year old putz did it so you can to.

MTTwister
08-29-2004, 08:59
Well I better get my almost 60 buns out there and do this, too. Looked at it yesterday afternoon, and thought - Whoa! how ya gonna get down in there? Guess you take everything you can think of, then stretch out over the engine bay, and 'enjoy'. :rolleyes:

Fred - did you go in from the passenger side to the connector near the firewall, rear of the engine? If ya pull it off the OPS must be working totally by feel - I've never been deep enought to even see that thing!

Thinking of putting the relay near/next to the grounding bolt for the engine bay light plug-in.

Fredeberle
08-29-2004, 11:41
MTTwister,
I didn't even see that connector near the firewall. redface.gif
Just climbed straight over the front of the engine, kneeled on what was there. :(
Screw driver & long nose pliers and a good drop light. It goes back on in a bit of an angle so be careful of that.
I also used that grounding bolt for the relay ground and hung the relay up near it.
Attach all the wires to the connector wires first,
numbering each one and make sure they are long. ;)
Mine didn't have the socket like Howie mentioned,
just clip connectors to the relay, so I did those last.
Took me 1 hour but I got it done:D
It looks worse than it really is.
Fred

MTTwister
08-29-2004, 17:45
Got mine done! Not in record time, tho'.

Hopefully to save anyone else from having to figure out how to do this:

At the back of the engine - passegner side - about in line with the #8 on the intake manifold - there's a 3 wire in-line connector that's held in place with a plastic prong through a hole in that metal connector rack.

Pinch the clips with needle nose pliers and remove. Then you can get to the 'latch' on the back that holds the top to the base of the connector.

Attach a string to the connector ( to pull it back out). Then you can pull on th wire loom from between the intake manifold and the fuel filter housing and snake the wire loom and connector under the fuel filter bracket and get it up behind the intake manifold with "lotsa" room to work. Cut the tape on the loom, ( GM wraps the start of their tape jobs around the wires,then out and around the loom) and sneak the wires out.

cut the Grey wire - I used a light blue for 'signal' from the OPS, and a Dark blue for the return power to the fuel pump ( for easier wiring at the relay later. In-line cripm splice a Power line with the orange wire.

I had some larger loom. so I put the wiring back in that, and pulled the ends of the new wires throught, then using the string, pulled (carefully - and wiggle-waggling) the connector back under the brackets, etc.
Re-connected the 3-wire connector and snapped it in place. Finished the wiring to the Relay.

I used the screw that holds my firewall 'insulation' to the right of teh ground bolt that holds the under engine light- to mount the relay. I then used the under hood ground screw for the ground of the relay.

Ran the wires behind the A/C hose to keep them out of the way .

Crimp the spade connectors, plug into the relay, clear the area, and re-check for miscellaneous 'stuff' left in the engine area.

Cross fingers & fire up! When running, slide under truck and put fingers on pump - should be humming!

All this done from the passenger's side of the truck ( ok - used a kitchen stool to get up there. smile.gif )

Hope this keeps somebody from re-inventing the wheel .

EDIT - Whew - Computer hung and I thought I'd lost all this important stuff.

Enjoy the Day, everybody .

Fredeberle
08-30-2004, 03:45
OK MTTwister, :D
Glad to hear you got it done. smile.gif
Your way sounds much easier than what I had done. :rolleyes:
Fred