PDA

View Full Version : mileage drop after injector replacement

chessy56
10-21-2010, 17:04
At 176K miles, I had all 8 injectors replaced. Prior to that time, I could expect a good 21 mpg on long highway trips, at ~64 mph (about 1900 on the tach), and no head wind. With a bit of a tail wind, I could squeeze out a tad over 22 mpg.

Since the injector replacement, I'd estimate my mileage to be closer to 20, maybe 21 with a tail wind. Is this normal? I would have thought my fuel economy would improve with the new injectors. The Chevy dealership used OEM replacements (Bosch, I think). Any thoughts?

FYI: 2001 Dmax, K2500HD, LB7 currently with 213K miles, stock fuel filter only, K&N air filter. I typically run a little Lucas fuel treatment in the diesel.

Any comments on the drop in mileage?

Thanks-
"Chessy"

DickWells
10-21-2010, 19:47
lost some fuel mileage on mine, after the injector replacement in 07, with 86K miles on the clock. A little over a mpg, towing. From ~12.3 pre change, to ~ 11 + a wee bit, on the average, after. Just changed again in June, with 121 K miles, and I think the mileage came back up a little. I've heard, many times, that the changing of injectors on the LB7 quite often upsets the mileage a bit. I'm not complaining about the mileage, but sure would like to get your kind of longevity out of the injectors.

Kennedy
10-22-2010, 06:45
I think a lot of this can be from the crap between the line nut and line that gets ground up during R&R. No matter how well you try to clean them there is still junk that gets ground up during install. For this reason we use new lines most of the time.

willydmax
10-28-2010, 11:39
Our experience has been just the opposite, but I replaced the high pressure lines like Kennedy said. Dad is extremely happy with the mileage after the injector replacement. He's getting 19 mpg empty without trying very hard. I think with the new injectors and high pressure lines we are giving the "Kennedy ECM tune" the best chance at good mileage.