PDA

View Full Version : Allison cooling line solutions

JohnC
10-23-2010, 10:38
I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually solved the Allison cooling line problem in a manner that doesn't involve a new set of factory lines. I am aware of all the proposed solutions, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it?

TIA...

gophergunner
10-24-2010, 11:51
I've got about 12000 km's on my solution.

Simple compression fittings and hydraulic hoses. The hoses are a bit stiff though, makes it a little tricky in tight areas. Also, I didn't take the existing lines out to do this as they are a pain in the ass so I just cut them off right in the truck and put my new ones on. The steel tubes you see in the pic are from the last set I had replaced at a dealership.

So far so good, no leaks, not even a slight wet spot on any of the fittings.

I put some threadlocker on the fittings to help prevent them from coming loose. I also scrubbed the hoses out with a gun cleaning brush to help make sure there was no loose bits that were going into my transmission.

In total, cost me about $90 for the 3 small hoses, because the compression fittings were about $13 each.

I figure, if they work on combines and tractors and construction equipment, they will work on my pickup truck.:D

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/gophergunner/IMG_0070.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/gophergunner/IMG_0073.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/gophergunner/IMG_0072.jpg

bobt
10-24-2010, 22:53
This is new to me. Could someone expand on which Allisons are having cooling line problems and perhaps why?
Bob

cowboywildbill
10-25-2010, 02:58
Nice Post and great pictures. We traded our 07 so I didn't have to do this. Our's was leaking just a little when we got rid of it though. We traded it for a 2011, I hope they changed up the design of the hoses on the new one's?

JohnC
10-25-2010, 07:14
Could someone expand on which Allisons are having cooling line problems

Not sure how wide spread the problem, but I think it affects all the '06 and '07 trucks, at least. My second set has started leaking.

and perhaps why?

:) Because they are junk...

gophergunner - Are the lines steel or aluminum? If aluminum, I'd be concerned the compression fittings would work loose over time.

JohnC
10-25-2010, 18:50
Are the lines steel or aluminum?

Never mind. I see we covered that a while back....

Where did you find the compression fittings? Do they have a special name? How do they seal to the hoses, or are the hose fittings part of the compression fitting?

TIA

gophergunner
10-25-2010, 21:14
I got the hoses made up at the local Bumper to Bumper parts store in town.

Not sure if the fittings have any special name to them, and the compression fittings themselves are what is actually crimped onto the hydraulic hoses. So if you screw one up or lose a piece, you just have to buy a new fitting to rob the pieces from, or if you screw it up badly enough you need a new hose assembly.

Swagelok makes all sorts of stainless steel fittings for tubing and pipe. They aren't cheap but they are reliable and rated for higher pressures than the average hydraulic hose/fitting. They would also make some fittins that are compression on one end for the tubing, and perhaps a JIC or pipe thread on the other end so you can make up a hose thats seperate of the compression fittings.

And as far as I remember, the tubing is steel Perhaps aluminized or some sort of stainless as they aren't rusting. But magnets stick to them so I know they aren't aluminum.

JohnC
10-26-2010, 19:01
OK, I found the exact fitting. It's made by Eaton and has the number 700 on it, although that may mean nothing. The tubing end it 5/8" (OD) but the hose is only 1/2" (ID). Has anyone cut the hose to determine the ID of the factory part? I'm guessing from the way it is constructed, it is 5/8". Anyone have a feel for whether or not it would make a difference? (Or is the Eaton part available with a 5/8" hose? The shop I spoke to only had dies to crimp up to 1/2".)

JohnC
11-03-2010, 07:36
OK, the manual stresses that the lock clips must be replaced when the lines are replaced. However, it seems the only way to get them is to buy the fittings complete. They cost more than the lines! And, what's the point o having these "quick connect" fittings if the fittings must be replaced every time they are disconnected? :confused:

Is it safe to reuse them? Does any one know where I can get just the clips?

TIA

mattb5150
11-03-2010, 11:33
Two days ago I was changing the engine oil & filter as well as the spin on the Allison filter on my 2003 Sierra at my new house on my nice clean driveway. I was very careful not to spill a drop of oil. After moving the pickup I had a six inch diameter oil ring on the ground, it was trans fluid. Upon further investigation it was coming from the trans cooler line and appeared to be coming form the crimp area on the hose. Had it fixed at the dealer waiting to go pick up. Service writer said it would be $360 and the tech broke the first part installing it and they had to keep the truck and have a new line over-nighted from the warehouse. So its not just the 2006's. Just hope this is a better hose than others have gotten?

Matt

Kennedy
11-03-2010, 12:55
OK, the manual stresses that the lock clips must be replaced when the lines are replaced. However, it seems the only way to get them is to buy the fittings complete. They cost more than the lines! And, what's the point o having these "quick connect" fittings if the fittings must be replaced every time they are disconnected? :confused:

Is it safe to reuse them? Does any one know where I can get just the clips?

TIA

I don't replace them and don't think many people do. They aren't high stress and the nylon capture ring keeps them locked.

JohnC
11-04-2010, 09:01
I don't replace them and don't think many people do. They aren't high stress and the nylon capture ring keeps them locked.

Thanks, John. I was thinking along the same lines, but I wanted to see if anyone else had tried it.