PDA

View Full Version : Tightening the damper bolt?

More Power
10-24-2010, 13:22
The harmonic damper bolt must be torqued to 200 ft-lbs during installation. Getting it loose can also be a challenge. Most people use a pry-bar to anchor the flexplate or flywheel while the damper bolt is removed/replaced. Member MJ McCarroll came up with another idea to keep the crankshaft from turning. Some scrap metal and a few minutes with a welder is all it takes. Thanks MJ!

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/MJMcCarroll-damperfixture1.jpg

NH2112
02-23-2011, 19:55
My solution for in-truck torquing was very similar - a piece of 1" bar stock with 2 holes drilled in it, bolted to 2 of the dampener bolt holes and allowed to rest against either the ground or the passenger side frame rail. I had to use a couple washers with each bolt to clear the center bolt's washer.

Robyn
02-25-2011, 19:46
Well after many years of doing the 6.2/6.5 engines I still use the 1/2" impact gun.

Bust it down until the bolt/washer touch the dampener and are snug then give the wrench about 2 seconds at full power.

Never ever had one give any issues.

I use the impact to remove it too.

Now if one is not really well comfy with the impact, the little ditty that Jim posted is just the ticket.

Actually there are few places that I use the torque wrench on these engines.

Main bolts, Rod nuts and head bolts are about it.

Everything else gets hit with the air impact, ZZIPPP ZIPPPPPPPP.

Can't go wrong with the torque wrench though.

Missy

NH2112
02-28-2011, 07:12
Can't beat the impact gun, when you have access to air. That's not always the case with me LOL

Robyn
02-28-2011, 07:38
There are reasons not to use one for sure.

It takes a FEEL to really use one in soo many places and not get into trouble.

I have seen guys use them for rods, mains and head bolts, AHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO not gonna happen.

There are some places that are sacred and should only see the torque wrench and proper numbers all the way.

Stuff like the Ballancer bolt, flywheel bolts and many other places, I just give them a Buzzzzzz and have never had an issue with them.

I love air to take stuff apart though :)

Missy

mrwilecoyote
01-03-2013, 19:48
Will this gun do it...:D ?

mrwilecoyote
01-03-2013, 19:51
Seriously though I am skittzy so I bought the proper tool. Mac Tools HB installer has the right adapter for the 6.xx