PDA

View Full Version : went boom!

landrea
06-14-2005, 16:36
when returning from a tow in Chicago Saturday one of My drivers heard a loud boom under the hood and the low coolant lite came on so he pulled over and called me.Fearing the worst I drove my car the 20 miles to pick him up.Upon arrival I found my 2000 HD in a coolant spill,I looked closer and saw the radiator cut open and one fan blade broke and half missing and another badly bent.Had her towed again (good thing I'm good pals with the owner of a co. with large tow trucks)to the dealer.We now found the fan clutch locks up sometimes when spinning it,so we think that's what happened when driving.Anybody ever seen this?It will be fixed tomorrow so we'll see.

markrinker
06-15-2005, 04:28
I had a similar event with truck #1. The water pump actually broke in half, sending the fan through the radiator.

MTTwister
06-15-2005, 13:30
Holy Cr@p - something else to 'worry' about. How often does this happen? Any warning signs? Any testing procedures?

landrea
06-19-2005, 17:59
we finally got her fixed and come to find out the fan clutch sometimes locks up and we think that it locked up when driving and flexed the fan enough to hit my pto idler pulley and break the fan blade. :mad: