PDA

View Full Version : Dome light won't go out

TurboDiverArt
08-29-2004, 12:45
Hey all,

I assume it's some switch or something. The dome light won't go out or more accurately goes on and off but typically stays on most of the time. The dome override button will turn it off. With the dome not overridden the dome will blink on and off as I drive as I hit bumps. Sometimes when I hit the brakes it'll come on or go off. Same if I turn on and off the headlights.

If I dome override it will stay off all the time. Not that it matters, when I turn off the truck and lock the truck the dome will come on but quickly turn off when the truck is locked (acts normally).

I assume it's got to either be the turn signal switch under the dash somewhere, the dome light dash roller switch or maybe the headlight switch.

I had thought it was the brass plunger switches on the rear barn doors or the door plungers but I don't think it's that as I've cleaned them many times and seems to have no effect.

Any help or especially part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Art.

Billman
08-29-2004, 13:39
Art

I've had this same problem and I'm sure many others have had it also.

It's those crappy door jam switches.

If nobody comes up with a number, I'll get it for you tomorrow at work.

FarmerDale
08-29-2004, 13:48
Amen on the door switch. When I ahd on going out, I used a nickel duct-taped to the rub spot on the door to get it to push the plunger in further. Was a great temporary fix for a month or so.

If it moves and it's not supposed to - use duct tape.

If it doesn't moved and it is supposed to - use WD-40.

CareyWeber
08-30-2004, 03:03
If it gets cold ie below zero mine will come on, and the dome light override is the only way to turn it off, but any other time they work fine.

When it started this I replaced the door switch, but it still does it.

Carey

rjschoolcraft
08-30-2004, 03:36
Pull the little button out of the door and put a washer under it. This will make the switch depress further and break contact. It worked on mine when it did these same things. Mine started out doing this only when it was really cold, but eventually would do it all of the time. Replacing the door hinge pins helped, but didn't cure it. The washer under the button fixed it for good. ;)

norm
08-30-2004, 16:51
That dome light may be switched by neg. instead of pos., depending on how the other courtesy (map reading) lights are supplied with power. Most that I have taken apart have been neg. switched. It could be some chafed wires along the rockers causing a "short" to ground. The rear dome and speakers in my crew cab stopped working because of that, but it's less likely that your Sub has as much old dirt and debris to wear and corrode the wires in those chases as mine did (prev. owner kept it a mess).

Turbine Doc
08-30-2004, 18:04
RJ I RTV'd a dime to mine when it happened on my old gasser, knew I'd have a dime for a phone call if I needed it, but now calls are a quarter may need to replace it, but you can't hardly find a pay phone anyway now so I'll maybe just swap to a washer and save my coins for 6.5 mods ;)

dstoops
08-30-2004, 18:17
When mine started acting up I went to my local dealer and bought a new switch. Don't remember how much it cost so it must not have been that bad. Takes only minutes to replace.

332bill
08-31-2004, 09:13
Art, my dome light was doing the same thing. Norm is right, the door switches are on the negative side. The GM shop manual suggests pulling the connector off the headlamp switch and checking the continuity of the door switch circuit. If there is continuity, you have a bad door switch (somewhere) or a chaffed wire. If there is not continuity, you have a bad headlamp switch. I did not have continuity, so it looks like I need a new headlamp switch. I can e-mail you a copy of the shop manual pages that cover this problem if you like.

Bill

dieselrealtor
08-31-2004, 18:29
dittos on the door switch.

I have replaced 1 or 2 on past gassers I have had, now the drivers side on my burb is bad. I took it out to keep it from running the batt down until I can get to the parts dept to get another one.

rjschoolcraft
09-01-2004, 05:11
Like I said, placing a washer under the button on the door fixed mine.

Billman
09-01-2004, 10:39
88891785 GM

FarmerDale
09-01-2004, 19:52
RJ

you are cheaper than me!! I used a nickel that was lying around.