PDA

View Full Version : 4180e Identification

AllThumbs
11-01-2010, 07:36
4180e - The numbers on my transmission that I can see are raised in the casting and read 24203370 9

and 8472. Is this a 4180e or is there identifying information some place else?

Thanks for any help.

JohnC
11-01-2010, 09:59
Can't help with the numbers, but the 4L80E was the only automatic available behind the 6.5TD.

AllThumbs
11-01-2010, 11:30
Well thanks John, that should be plain enough. Must be. I think I am the victim of some bad advise. My local tranny mechanic told me not to tow in overdrive as it would burn out the transmission. He has an excellent rep locally and has always done good work for me. So should I or not?

Others on TDP seem to do it on a regular basis so why not?

DmaxMaverick
11-01-2010, 11:38
"Towing in OD" is rather subjective. Too much depends on the load, final drive ratio, terrain, equipment condition and/or upgrades, and driving habits. What I do successfully may kill your drivetrain, or what I can't/won't do may suit you fine.

Towing in OD, whether you can successfully or not, may still not be the best option. Often, too high of a gear will reduce economy and increase engine loading, under certain conditions. As I said, too much depends on what, how, when, and where you tow. There is no single answer. Your tranny guy may be offering good advice under most of the conditions he has seen. To err on the side of caution, don't tow in OD. Simple fits-all advice born from experience.

AllThumbs
11-01-2010, 11:49
That's sort of where I'm leaning with him. Most of his work is on pickups that tow enormous loads of cattle, corn and other crops to market. Pretty hard lugging most of the time.

I currently have a pile of gauges laying on the kitchen table. One is a tranny temp gauge. When I have them installed, that should help a lot in judging what to do. Thanks for the advise.

JohnC
11-01-2010, 19:31
I used to do it all the time. If I got into hills where the trans was shifting back and forth I'd drop it into 3. I think the real issue is there is no engine braking in OD...

rustyk
11-01-2010, 21:20
"Towing in OD" is rather subjective. Too much depends on the load, final drive ratio, terrain, equipment condition and/or upgrades, and driving habits. What I do successfully may kill your drivetrain, or what I can't/won't do may suit you fine.

Towing in OD, whether you can successfully or not, may still not be the best option. Often, too high of a gear will reduce economy and increase engine loading, under certain conditions. As I said, too much depends on what, how, when, and where you tow. There is no single answer. Your tranny guy may be offering good advice under most of the conditions he has seen. To err on the side of caution, don't tow in OD. Simple fits-all advice born from experience.

I agree. My AMG 6.5 is in a 16K lb. motorhome, so it's always "towing". I stay in 3rd. OD provides no increase in fuel economy, and the A/c compressor and water pump are much happier. And at the speeds I run, the engine stays just at the torque curve peak, where best economy is expected.