PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel and LB7

Troy
11-01-2010, 19:18
I fueled up today in the Valero station that I have been using the last 6 month and as I was collecting the reciept I saw a sticker on the pump that said "Up to 5% Biodiesel". I'm not sure if this is a change or if it has always been there and I just never noticed. Either way is this fuel safe to run in my 2002 LB7 engine? Do I need additional filtering to run this fuel? I change my fuel filter every 10K.

DmaxMaverick
11-01-2010, 20:50
Commercial bioDiesel requires NO additional filtration. Filtration problems come up with home brew. Your 2002 Duramax is certified by GM for 5% bioDiesel fuel. They always have been, and you should have no issues with it, and probably won't even notice a difference.

Kennedy
11-02-2010, 06:46
First I will say that I am pro bio diesel.

The problem I have with it is all the crap that comes with it. It can be a pure headache regardless whether it is ASTM (factory brewed) or home brewed. Best I can say is keep a close watch on your filter restriction and if it gives any signs of grief it is likely the bio.

It is said that the bio scours old fuel systems dislodging built up crap, but I have seen issues in almost new trucks. I've seen bio slime coat filters and tank innards. I've seen more than expected "carbon" buildup on injector nozzles.

I think bio has it's place and will have it's day, but I've backed off my support and am not using it.

I have a customer in western WI who has periodic fuel system issues. He swears up and down that he fuels at the same place as several others who have absolutely no problems, BUT I have to keep reminding him that he also fuels in MN some times and they do not. MN has a bio mandate.

Hillbilly Jim
11-02-2010, 16:03
I use B20 in my 2001 Dmax and have for the past 8 or 9 years. Comes from first bio-diesel pump in Missouri. No problems so far. I try to fill up there every 4th or 5th tank.
Still on my origional injectors with double filtration and use fuel conditioner every tank.
My mileage, yours may be different.

Troy
11-02-2010, 22:01
Thanks. It sounds like for the most part I should not have an issue with 5% bio. I do change the filter every 10K with either NAPA Gold or Baldwin filters. I also use fuel conditioner most tanks (2 out of 3).