PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought

AllThumbs
11-02-2010, 15:20
I ran into some interesting information today. I was talking to a military surplus guy and he told me that the US military put out bids for 6.5 engines for HUMVEES and the low bidder was building them with Chinese blocks. Failure rate on start up was about 10% with an additional 10% once they were put into duty. The military soon canceled that contract for pretty obvious reasons and returned to their original supplier. No names used, but the meaning was pretty clear. AM General engines have exceedingly low failure rates.

While on that subject, it would seem to me that we have very little real data on the 506 Navistar blocks because they are used almost exclusively in the military or am I wrong? When they were 6.5 in GM use, there were 100s of thousands that gave us a lot of information. With military having them, we get little information at least not that I have seen.

Why do we have so little discussion here about the military engines and what is wrong with the surplus stuff that is being made available. I have no idea personally and was just wondering what others know.