PDA

View Full Version : Red 82

jcrowe
11-03-2010, 11:56
I want to put a military surplus 6.2 diesel into a 1982 GMC 2500 Heavy Duty with the original 6.2 in it. Truck is in excellent condition (garaged every winter, no rust). What problems am I going to have?

85-m1028
11-03-2010, 18:26
Are you pulling the engine with the transmission attached?

is the replacement engine out of a HMMWV or CUCV?

jcrowe
11-05-2010, 13:09
Are you pulling the engine with the transmission attached?

is the replacement engine out of a HMMWV or CUCV?

I'm pulling the engine separately and planning to use the existing heavy duty manual transmission with shift through the floor. Will probably remove transmission separately to check condition, but plan to use existing manual setup.

I think the engine is out of a HMMWV, but not sure.

85-m1028
11-05-2010, 18:40
The HMMWV engine injection pump has a 24V shut off solenoid that needs to be changed out. I just took the cover with the shut off solenoid from my old injection pump and changed it over. Pls make sure you have the support bracket for the starter attached too.

The HMMWV engine will have a single plane intake manifold that sits down lower in the valley so your factory air cleaner will not fit "it hits the valve covers" you'll see what I'm talking about.. Basicaly you can swap over the intake manifold from the old engine "problem solved" or you can make a custom intake..

Now is a good time to think about any upgrades or change outs you want to do.

*maybe have the radiator hot dipped and cleaned
*change out the harmonic balancer, new factory replacement or fluidyne upgrade.
*replace the water pump? penisular makes a highflow pump that cranks out 110gph for the v-belt clockwise rotation set up?
*maybe a new timing gear upgrade?

The oil pan is different too, so that will need to be swapped out as well. while your at it a new rear main seal and front main seal would be good prep for installing the new engine. These can be a PIA to do after the engine is installed, add a lift pump to that list as well..

jcrowe
11-09-2010, 09:30
Thanks for the good information. It is really appreciated. I'll probably set it up out of the truck and test run it if I can before I take it apart. Supposedly it is in very good condition.