PDA

View Full Version : Steering clunk fixed

Spoolmak
11-03-2010, 13:00
I had developed the infamous GMC steering clunk. Everytime when turning right, the clunk, shudder, vibration got so bad that I became really alarmed. I had the steering shaft and bearing replaced this morning by the dealer - one hour labour plus parts cost - and it totally solved the problem. The steering feels the way it did when the truck was new. I'm very pleased.

Tor

2tough2park
12-19-2010, 18:48
I had developed the infamous GMC steering clunk. Everytime when turning right, the clunk, shudder, vibration got so bad that I became really alarmed. I had the steering shaft and bearing replaced this morning by the dealer - one hour labour plus parts cost - and it totally solved the problem. The steering feels the way it did when the truck was new. I'm very pleased.

Tor

I'm happy to hear only one steering shaft replacement has solved your problem. I'm on shaft number 6 I believe and now it's bad also. Always replaced under warranty but never "fixed". BTW, truck is only 4 years old.

JohnnyR
01-05-2011, 10:36
My mechanic drilled and tapped mine. I just grease it when I change the oil and grease the frontend. Solved the problem for me.

Spoolmak
01-05-2011, 18:14
My mechanic drilled and tapped mine. I just grease it when I change the oil and grease the frontend. Solved the problem for me.

What a great idea!!! If it comes back, that's what I'll do.

Tor