PDA

View Full Version : Help... Please...

scot5146
11-05-2010, 17:38
:confused:

HEY ALL-

Again i am a novice rookie so bare with me, my 1987 suburban is my first diesel and i am trying to learn and repair at the same time...

THE PROBLEM...
1) There is fluid dripping very slowly out of the front drivers side glow plug hole, i cant tell what it is...

2) I am losing power in the 50 mph and over range, ( but seems to run fine) i cant tell if its the motor, injection pump, turbo, or transmission not keeping up? Any ideas?

3) If it is the injection pump can they be rebuilt with a kit or do you have to spend 700-900 on a rebuilt for the auto parts store?

thanks again everyone

mike:confused:

john8662
11-06-2010, 16:45
The fluid on the front of the engine is one of three things:

Power Steering fluid, check out the hose connections on the resevour, and the res itself.

Engine oil, leaking valve cover.

Oil from freon/ac compressor.

What color is the fluid?

For the low power issue start with replacing the fuel filter and following proper fuel filter bleeding procedure prior to attempting to start the engine. For this info search the forum.

Turbo? must be nice...

scot5146
11-06-2010, 22:45
Ok good to know, i will check the fluid more in depth to see if I can tell what it is...

i will change the fuel filter tomorrow and write back on the forum...

Thanks Again

Mike:D

And Yes I love the turbo!

Subzilla
11-08-2010, 07:48
Could also be one of the fuel return lines that sits right above the GPs. This will crack and weep fuel right onto the GPs.

To much trouble, tools and knowledge to rebuild the pump. Check out Tim Wagner at Accuratediesel.com. He doesn't have the DB2 listed but I'm guessing he will still build one for you. Last one I bought from him costs $300ish but that was 5 years ago or so. Don't buy the ones from the auto stores. Who knows where/how they rebuilt plus they like them an awful lot.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions here. Lots of good people on this forum.

scot5146
11-09-2010, 18:33
:mad:Well I changed the fuel filter and it did not run any better... Then all of the sudden it craped out and would not run at all with out stomping the peddle and driving up the RPM, then it would only do about 10 mph...

SO... After I towed it home I trailer it to a local diesel shop and they said it was the injector pump which confirmed my suspissions...

So now what pump is better the Stanadyne or the Roosa? And I am going to attempt this on my own to save about $ 800 from the shop, I think I should also do the water pump and reseal the valve covers which are leaking... Any other ideas on what else I should do while the top is pulled apart?

Thank Everyone for all the help, I will track down the Glow Plug leaking problem once I get the pump off...:confused:

scot5146
11-16-2010, 09:30
Hey everyone... I am still looking for answers? Help please, this was my last post...

Ok Now What?
Well I changed the fuel filter and it did not run any better... Then all of the sudden it craped out and would not run at all with out stomping the peddle and driving up the RPM, then it would only do about 10 mph...

SO... After I towed it home I trailer it to a local diesel shop and they said it was the injector pump which confirmed my suspissions...

So now what pump is better the Stanadyne or the Roosa? And I am going to attempt this on my own to save about $ 800 from the shop, I think I should also do the water pump and reseal the valve covers which are leaking... Any other ideas on what else I should do while the top is pulled apart?

Thank Everyone for all the help, I will track down the Glow Plug leaking problem once I get the pump off...
:confused::confused:

crashz
11-16-2010, 16:26
I've always used a Stanadyne repair shop in Albany NY for rebuilt pumps. Not cheap, but never had a problem. They need to be done by a pro shop, as the tools and equipment is very specialized. Best of Luck!