PDA

View Full Version : Sick Truck

Yukon6.2
11-06-2010, 08:53
My signature truck has a cold
I still have the dual exhuast and have a ton of smoke out of the right bank till the motor reaches operating temp.I have opened each injector line on that side and the motor runns rough when each is opened.Motor runs great when warm,pours out lots of smoke till then and dosn't pull well when smoking.It smells like unburnt fuel.
I don't have a compresion guage,and it isn't coolent related.
My guess is a broken ring
Did a trip to the big city yesterday pulling a trailer brought back a light load and the truck was normal in every way other than the smoke when cold or cooler then operating temp.Same power same fuel consumpion.
Like any other time,this is not the time to be having truck problems,have to finish building our house,so any time spent fixing truck cuts into house time.
The joys of self employment:rolleyes:,i have closed my shop to the public because there wasn't the highway trafic to keep me busy,so my time is better used to build our house,have the $$$ put away for materials,but none for labor, so that is me.
So if anyone has a quess or a direction i can check out that would be great.
I will probly continue to use as is letting it warm right up befor i drive it,i do have a motor waiting to replace the one in the truck,but of course i wasn't planing that till i was done my house project.
The list just keeps getting longer
Thanks All
Thomas

85-m1028
11-06-2010, 09:19
Sounds like some injector/s are not spraying right, or some glow plugs are dead. The fuel doesn't combust all the way until the cylinder temp gets hot enough. Test the glow plugs first.

Check to see if you have any blowby. Lots of smoke out of the crankcase could mean a bad piston.

Robyn
11-06-2010, 11:45
Bad squirts

Fresh set will/should fix that issue

Missy

JohnC
11-06-2010, 19:35
Make sure the cold advance circuit is working.

Yukon6.2
11-07-2010, 08:17
Hi all
The advance circut is working.The glows i have right now arn't the best,but the situation is the same if i have it pluged in,two block heaters and oil pan heater.The new squirts are about 25K old.I thought about them,but you can definatly tell when you loosen each injector that the cyls are fireing.It's allways had one cyl that was slow to clear up after intial startup.# 8. I had to hone the cly after i cut a ridge off.I should of used a new set of rings on that piston,but time and money at the time:o
Anyhow keep the ideas coming,hopefully i can find an easy fix....but..,i never win at the lottery,so my luck usually dosn't run that way.
Thanks Thomas