PDA

View Full Version : How I installed my OPS Relay, and spent my weekend.

MTTwister
08-30-2004, 14:58
I'm copying this from another thread to bring it to everyone's reading enjoyment, with a searchable title, and hopefully to save anyone else from having to figure out how to do this:

You don't have to dig down and find the OPS and OPS connector.

At the back of the engine - passenger side - about in line with the "#8" on the intake manifold - there's a 3 wire in-line connector that's held in place with a plastic prong through a hole in that metal connector rack.

Pinch the clips with needle nose pliers and remove. Then you can get to the 'latch' on the back that holds the top to the base of the connector.

Attach a string to the bottom half of the connector so you can pull it back out.

You can reach in between the fuel filter and the intake manifoldand access the loom that goes from the OPS to this connector. Pull on the wire loom from between the intake manifold and the fuel filter housing, snake the connector under the fuel filter bracket and get it up behind the intake manifold with "lotsa" room to work.

Cut the tape on the end of the loom, (GM wraps the start of their tape jobs around the wires,then out the split and around the loom) and pull the wires out of the loom.

Now it's easy to cut the Grey wire and straight line connect the relay leads - I used a light blue for 'signal' from the OPS, and a Dark blue for the return power to the fuel pump (just so I could easily remember the wiring at the relay later. In-line, parallel, t-tap, (whatever) crimp splice a Power line to the orange wire.

I had some larger loom, so I put the wiring back in that, and pulled the ends of the new wires through, then using the string, pulled (carefully I was using flimsy string - and with wiggle-waggling) the connector back under the brackets, etc.
Re-connected the 3-wire connector and snapped it in place. Then finished the wiring to the Relay.

I used the screw that holds my firewall 'insulation' to the right (drivers side) of the ground bolt which holds the under engine light- to mount the relay. I then used the under hood ground screw for the ground for the relay.

Ran the wires behind the A/C hose to keep them out of the way .

Crimp the spade connectors, plug into the relay, clear the area, and re-check for miscellaneous 'stuff' left in the engine area.

Cross fingers & fire up! When running, slide under truck and put fingers on pump - should be humming!

All this done from the passenger's side of the truck, leaning over the fneder - not really crawling up in there to work. ( ok - used the first step of a kitchen stool to get up there.)

Should be able to do this in about an hour, if you take everything you need with you under the hood. Grounding stud nut - 11mm, small screw = 7-8 mm IIRC.( 7mm I think )

Hope this keeps somebody else from re-inventing the wheel .

Fredeberle
08-31-2004, 08:02
Great post MTTwister, :D
Wish you had done yours before I did mine. :(
These are what makes this site great! smile.gif
Fred

curmudge1
08-31-2004, 11:28
Can you supply info on the relay that you used? Part number, approximate cost$, and source? Thanks.

When I recently changed my OPS, that far left (passenger side) connector had the little piece of plastic that pushes through the bracket break off, so I wound up using a wire-tie to hold it in place when I finished with the OPS. It gets a bit tight back in there!

MTTwister
08-31-2004, 12:50
I used a Bosch relay I had picked up for fog lights. This relay has two stinking switched pins - but One's Open and One's closed. This wouldn't work to fire off 2 fog's, but it worked for the 1 wire switching I needed. All the other lamp relays I've ever used, the 2 switched pins were both Normally Open.

But - basically It would be a standard 30amp driving /fog lamp relay that would be hanging off the light accessory racks at almost any automotive store. It's only drawing / passing 5 amps, and the first version I saw for this mod, they used a clear housing, 5 amp relay, from R/Shack.

Cost s/b under $5.00 for automotive store relay. Hmmm - Wiring lengths needed - about 3- 18" to 24" lenghts ( go long) - probably 18 ga would do. You could easily use the same color for the 2 wires from the grey wire splice, just be sure to mark the ends so you know the proper pin hookups later. ( Suppose you could use the same color for all 3, each well marked, but that's not, ya know, 'right' smile.gif )