PDA

View Full Version : Cab heat control: losing adjustability

chessy56
11-09-2010, 19:03
Folks-
I've got a 2001 Silverado K2500HD, LS package (214K miles). For the past couple of years, I have had a lack of adjustability in the cab heat. If I go to increase the heat control above roughly the mid point, it seems I can not adjust the heat back down. If I crank up the heat to the max, it will usually stay there until I shut off the engine; a "power-off reset" of sorts. This sucks on a long distance trip- either pull over and shut the engine off for a minute or two or ride with the windows cracked open. The heat can drive you out of the cab!!!

What controls the heat damper? Is the damper operated electrically or mechanically (vacuum)? What's the likelihood of the control going bad vs. the actuator? Sometimes, if I don't have the control set too high, I can momentarily move the control to the "max heat" setting, then immediately set it to the coolest position- it may respond (go cooler) or it may go to the max heat position and stay there.

Looking for ideas. Is there a voltage output to an actuator that I should monitor? Is it easier to just replace an actuator? Is the control panel replaced as an assembly (fan/heat/AC knobs) or can they be individually replaced? Any thoughts would help. I'd like my thermal adjustability back. (Hope I posted this in the correct venue).
Thanks!

Chessy56

DmaxMaverick
11-09-2010, 20:45
Mine has done the exact thing for the last year or so. It IS NOT the control head, so don't waste your money/time on that. I switched in my old one (used a few months, then replaced with a new one with mirror/defog), same results. It's the blend door actuator (servo). Not easy to access, so it'll stay that way until I get enough down time. I keep mine at 1 tick less than half if I anticipate needing to turn it down, and don't turn it up unless I need more heat for a long time. The good thing about it is, the heater works real well, even with less heat on the knob. Your experience will be different than mine, being where you are. It's cold here, but not that cold, yet.